vi. god of boring

CHAPTER SIX:GOD OF BORING

CHAPTER SIX:
GOD OF BORING

■ ■ ■ ■

LIKE MOST PEOPLE, THE sons of Boreas were quick to get on Kit’s nerves. Maybe even more than Leo himself did, and that was saying a lot. From the moment their paths crossed, Kit had them figured out. Cal wasn’t much to think twice about. A bit on the dumber side, he was all brawn and no brain. Perhaps he could’ve been decent enough company, if he didn’t spend so much time giggling about hockey and pizza like they were the Gods’ greatest gifts to the world. As for Zethes, he was far more put together, maybe a little too much. Kit didn’t trust it for a second, even if all he seemed to care about was vanity and the attention of women, good or bad.  

And for the first time since they set out on this quest, Jason also agreed with him. Kit found himself exchanging a wary glance with the blonde boy as the two demon angels made themselves known, soaring through the frosty air with wings growing from their backs, half human-half monster.

“Heads up, guys,” Jason muttered to Piper and Leo, who were too busy marvelling at the snow-dusted city below them to notice the new arrivals. “We’ve got company.”

Beneath them, Festus started to shudder uneasily. He stopped suddenly, almost sending the four demigods overboard as he prepared a column of fire to blow at the brothers. Had it not been for Leo murmuring frantically into his ear, Kit was sure he’d have met a slow death plummeting into the cement below. 

“I don’t like this,” Jason spoke again. “They look like storm spirits.”

Kit took a second to really analyse them. The brawny one, who he would soon learn to be Cal, wore a bright red hockey jersey over his beefy shoulders, baggy sweatpants and black leather cleats clinging to his legs. Both of his eyes were circled by black bruises and several of his front teeth were missing when he smiled, an empty look in his eyes. As for the skinnier of the two, Zethes, he reminded Kit of a wanna-be rockstar from the 1980s. His ice-white hair was slicked back with way too much gel. His shoes were leather and pointy, like an elf’s, his matching leather pants practically popping at the seams. To top it off, he’d chosen to wear a neon orange silk shirt with the top three buttons left undone to reveal a patch of pale skin. Kit Dempsey wouldn’t have been caught dead in such a horrific outfit. He couldn’t comprehend how Zethes had allowed himself to be.

“Do we run for it?” Leo murmured to Kit.

“No,” the other boy sneered. “They’ll be easy to take down if we need to.”

Before Leo could give an uncertain retort, the demon angels pulled up in front of Festus, drawing matching bronze swords from sheaths at their hips.