CHAPTER 21

All I see is big rocks and precarious boulders all over the place, covered with fog and ashes.  It was creeping deep in my skin. Nanlamig ang kamay ko at di ko mawari ang dahilan.

“Don't worry, Anissa. I'm here.” that soothing, full of tranquility voice whispered as I felt that touch in my hand that's as soft as a feather. I feel... Safe. For a minute I was safe. I was safe not until I saw a silhouette of a familiar creature coming towards us.

H-He's coming. He's c-coming, he's going to k-kill me. H-He's here—” I panicked as he was getting near. I am panting in fear, pale as ash, cold as ice.

“Anissa, calm down! Calm down, okay? I'm going to protect you. It's okay—”

My eyes encircled and that plump stock in my throat was loosen and I was able to shout my lungs out.

Azrail!” I shouted aloud as I saw how that evil spirit pulled Azrail away— to that foggy part of this place.

“Nooo! Azrail! A-Azrail!” I kept shouting. He's not here! He's not in my side and I am all alone. Lalo akong nanlamig sa takot nang mawala sa paningin ko si Azrail at ang halimaw na 'yon! Hinila si Azrail papalayo sa akin at ramdam ko ang piligrong lalong lumalapit sa akin.

At lalong nadagdagan ang takot ko nang dahan-dahang dumilim ang paligid. Nang wala na akong masyadong makita, naramdaman kong hindi ako nag-iisa. I felt someone's presence. Ramdam ko ang presensya n'ya sa likod ko— sobrang lapit at alam kong hindi si Azrail iyon. I gulped in fear but I wasn't able to fight the urge of turning my head.

Dahan-dahan akong lumingon at nang tuluyan kong hinarap ang demonyong halimaw na ito. He was the most devil creature I've seen.

Ang malalaki nitong mata ay nakatitig sa akin na puno ng galit habang ang matatalas na ngipin nito'y nakalabas, ang baluktot na mukha at matatalim nitong sungay.

“Ahhh—” I squirmed when the creature fastly got me and grasp me in the neck. He choked me hard that I could hardly breathe.

“A-Az— Azrail!” I tried to talk. I tried to shout but I couldn't. I feel like my neck is swelling. I can hardly breathe and by the force this creature is putting in my neck, my body wants to surrender. I wanted to stop fighting because I know I have no chance to win this evil spirit but before I could surrender, Azrail suddenly flashed right in front of me and attacked the evil spirit.

Akala ko ay gagawin n'ya kung paano n'ya patayi ang mga espirito, tulad nang nakita ko noon. Pero, nagkamali ako. They were fighting — fist to fist. This evil spirit is really powerful! Yet, he was all defense— he is just protecting himself from Azrail's attacks and he was aiming for me. Oo, ako ang target n'ya.

“Anissa, wake up! Wake up, Anissa!” Azrail shouts. He was having hard times protecting me and all he shout is wake up. What does he even means?

“Please, Anissa! Wake up, please.” It was what Azrail clamours. He kept on shouting those words over and over again, by his voice, I know he was tired.

Hindi ko alam! Hindi ko alam ang gagawin ko! I was stuck in there, just looking at them— just looking how Azrail struggles just to protect me.  Azrail was commanding me to wake up but this is not a dream! If it was, why does this evil spirit's attack hurt me?

Next thing I saw was Azrail coming towards me. He rushed to me and jumped to protect me from the evil spirit trying to attack me from my back. Azrail was  right in the timing to roll us in the ground.

“Are you okay?” he immediately asked when we rolled away.

Y-Yes! You?” Then, I saw his bruised face. His beautiful face have scratches and bruises. My hands found his wounded face and my eyes watered.

“I'm s-sorry, Azrail! Sorry!”

“Shh, don't cry.” he hissed and wiped out my tears.

“It's fine—” he wasn't able to finish his words when the sharp horns of the evil was stabbed right to his chest where his heart is.

“No! Azrail! No!” I shouted and shouted.

N-No! Az-Azrail...” My tears continuously flowed. When the evil pulled his horn, Azrail's blood flows— burst flow.  My hand found his chest and covered the hole.

N-No! No, please no! Azrail... Azrail you're Death, you couldn't die like this, no! Please!” I cried.

Azrail's shaking hand found my cheek and caressed it, “Just wake up and everything will be alright, my lady.”

“No, Azrail. This is not—”

“Trust me, Anissa. Even just once.” he whispered. I pursed my lips together to contain my tears. I shut my eyes and think of waking up.

Wake up, Anissa. Wake up for Azrail. I don't want this nightmare anymore. I don't want this!

***

“AZRAIL!” Anissa shouted as she woke up from that nightmare. The time she opened her eyes, she found Azrail right in front of her. She cried aloud seeing him well and alive.

“Shh, it's fine. It's fine, Anissa. I'm fine. I'm not dead, okay?” He consoled her. Anissa pulled Azrail close and hugged him so tight.

“I— I thought you were dead!” She cried even more.

“I-I thought I l-lose you, A-Azrail.”

Azrail hugged her back and caressed her hair.

“Calm down, Anissa. I'm fine. You're not going to lose me unless you want me to.” Azrail whispered and Anissa's hug tightened. She couldn't stop herself from hugging him and her tears continuously flow.

Habul-hiningang umiiyak pa rin si Anissa habang yakap nila ang isa't isa. Iyon ang pinakamasamang bangungot sa buong buhay n'ya. Hindi n'ya alam, pero nasaktan siya sa panaginip na 'yon.

“Anissa, you're not going to lose me unless you want me to.” Azrail stopped hugging her and hold her shoulder. His big hands cope her small face and wiped her tears with his thumbs.

“Anissa, hindi ako namamatay. Hindi ako kayang patayin ng nilalang na 'yon. Not a knife or even a bullet, a curse or a power of other god and goddesses. Huwag ka na umiyak, ayos lang ako.” Azrail tried to make her calm down but that didn't work.

“Kahit na! Namatay ka pa rin sa panaginip ko.” angal pa nito na nagpangiti kay Azrail.

Azrail look straight to her eyes and softly smiled.

“Ano?” inis na tanong ni Anissa habang tinutuyo ang kanyany mga luha.

“Thank you.” he hissed and kissed her forehead.

“For what?”

“Nothing.”

FAITH
•|| fairyf8tales ||•