Chapter 19: Crossing Realms

Wangji cast a final glance at the mirror, a wave of nostalgia washing over him. The Lan tailor had expertly preserved his traditional Lan robe style in the elegant white suit, seamlessly blending his heritage with human attire. Pride gleamed in Wangji's eyes as he admired the Cloud Recesses emblem on his suit—a symbol not just of his sect but a reminder of his roots, traditions, and the values that shaped him into the man he was today. Adjusting his white forehead ribbon and ensuring his hair ornament was secure, a sense of warmth enveloped him.

Memories of past teachings, the timeless elegance of the Lan robe, and reflections on customs and principles filled his mind as he gazed into the mirror. While cherishing his traditional attire, Wangji understood the importance of adapting to the human world, balancing blending in with staying true to his identity.

Meeting Sizhui's youthful gaze in the mirror, Wangji noted his son's poised appearance. Sizhui looked confident in his white turtleneck adorned with the Cloud Recesses symbol, paired with casual blue jeans exuding a charming teenage vibe. Despite the departure from their traditional attire, Sizhui's confident demeanor and the presence of his head ribbon and hair ornament served as a poignant reminder of their shared heritage.

Wangji's smile conveyed a mix of emotions as he looked at his son, who eagerly anticipated his inaugural journey into the human world.

"Let's head out then," he said.

As father and son exited the Jingshi, they were surprised to find Lan Xichen standing before them. Wangji's heart skipped a beat at the sight of his elder brother, feeling both nostalgic and happy upon meeting him. Although he had hoped to avoid encountering anyone other than Sizhui before departing to evade questions, he couldn't shake the mix of emotions stirred by seeing Lan Xichen.

"Brother," Wangji greeted him with a nod, warmth evident in his voice. It had been three long years since their last meeting, and even though Wangji hadn't planned on seeing him, he was pleased by their unexpected reunion. Memories of entrusting Sizhui to Lan Xichen's care flooded back. His brother had assured him that Sizhui would be well taken care of, a memory that added a bittersweet tinge to their reunion.

"Sizhui," bowed respectfully.

Lan Xichen returned the nod with a gentle smile, his eyes softening as he regarded Wangji and Sizhui. "Wangji, Sizhui," he greeted warmly, fondness evident in his voice. "It's been too long since we last saw each other, brother. How have you been faring?"

Wangji felt a surge of emotion at his brother's words, memories washing over him as he reflected on their time apart. "I have been well," he replied gratefully. "Sizhui has grown into a fine young man under your guidance. How have you been? How fares the Lan Sect?"

Lan Xichen's smile widened at Wangji's inquiry, pride and satisfaction evident in his expression. "The Lan Sect thrives thanks to its dedicated members," he replied. "But enough about me. I was pleasantly surprised by your return. What brings you back to the Cloud Recesses? Have you found Wei Ying?" His question hung in the air as Lan Xichen glanced behind Wangji expectantly.

After a moment's hesitation grappling with whether to reveal his true purpose for returning, Wangji chose honesty.

"I have returned to gather provisions and prepare Sizhui for an extended journey," Wangji explained with unwavering resolve as he met Lan Xichen's gaze. "I now know where Wei Ying truly is."

Lan Xichen's expression softened at Wangji's words, understanding dawning in his eyes. "Ah, I see you are heading to the human realm from your attire," he remarked softly. "Wei Ying's absence weighs heavily on us all. I pray you find the answers you seek, Wangji. But is it wise to take Sizhui with you?" Concern laced his words.