"Ahh, right. Sorry."

Jet shook his head slightly at Tan before returning to focus on his math assignment. Sighing at the peace that had finally come with Tan quieting down and studying, Wen was ready to take a light nap when he heard his name being called from the classroom's door.

"Yywen Kaihan." It was Ambassador Fortin's secretary. She was standing just inside the classroom with a holopad tucked in her left arm. "Lay Khass."

Lay looked at the secretary at the mention of his name and set down his book before joining Wen in leaving their desks and walking toward the door.

"Ambassador Fortin would like to meet with you," she informed as Wen and Lay reached her. "Follow me, please."

The walk from the classroom to the Office of Student Affairs was quiet as the secretary led the two students through the school. Students of all grades were bustling through the halls as they prepared for either graduating, planning end-of-year events, or preparing to take on new roles as they advanced a grade year.

The three had just reached the entrance to Student Affairs when the door opened and out stepped Kean. He had just been in a meeting with Fortin and was just leaving when he ran into Wen. Like, physically ran into him.

Kean had been in discussion with Stry, who had accompanied the basketball captain as he also had been called to meet with Fortin, so he was not aware of where he was walking until he collided with a warm body.

"Oof," Kean muttered as he stumbled backward, brows furrowing when he lifted his head to see who he had run into. Kean's eyes immediately slanted when he saw Wen. "Watch where you're going, Kaihan," he growled before pushing through Wen, his shoulder bumping into the brown-haired as he passed him.

Wen gritted his jaw and turned his gaze up as Kean pushed past him. Resisting the urge to bite back at the jock, Wen released a silent breath before continuing on his way and following the secretary into Student Affairs. He had been able to avoid conflicts with Kean for the past eight months, and he did not want to break that streak, so Wen brushed it off for the sake of his sanity.

When Wen and Lay emerged from Ambassador Fortin's office roughly a half-hour later, both held expressions of disbelief. It was not until they had left Student Affairs that Wen said quietly, "Full ride to Azari...?"

He still could not believe it. Ambassador Fortin had called Wen and Lay in to meet with him to inform the two that Dawson Specialized Academy had offered to pay Wen and Lay's tuition for their upcoming year at Azari Preparatory High Academy. With this offer, Wen could have very minimum debt when he enters a varsity team. And, seeing that Dawson was willing to cover his tuition, it was a good sign that they would complete the courtship and officially scout Wen and Lay once they had graduated from Azari.

Fortin explained that the scores from their evaluations had prompted Dawson to further the courtship and congratulated Wen and Lay for their accomplishments. The two were in shock that their results had impressed Dawson to that extent and had been completely taken aback by Mr. Fortin's words. Nonetheless, Wen and Lay were extremely grateful and left Fortin's office with light hearts.

Upon the end of the school day, Lay rushed home to relay the news to Lisa while Wen went to his part-time job. While Wen was working, Lay went out and bought a cake to celebrate the great news and cooked a delicious dinner of shaved pork tossed with noodles. The night was bright and happy as the family celebrated Wen and Lay receiving scholarships from Dawson.

And thus, the next few months flew by and summer was at its peak when the Kaihan residence received a special message. With the school year being done, Wen had begun working at the cafe full-time and Lay got a job at a nearby clinic to help with the family's financial situation.

It was a Sunday and was both Wen and Lay's days off from work. The boys were spread out on the floor of the living room with the windows open and were napping after a fun night of games and karaoke with Emmi and Hanna. Wen's sisters were at summer school, and Lisa was out grocery shopping, so it was just Wen and Lay who were at the apartment.

So, the notification that a message had arrived startled both the boys from their peaceful naps. The sounds of the city filtered into the sunlit apartment as Wen opened his eyes and groggily sat up. Lay folded his arm to cover his eyes and continued to rest on the floor as Wen stood to his feet and walked over to the screen mounted to the wall beside the door.

Activating the screen, Wen scrolled through the residence's notifications until he saw the most recent message. His eyes immediately widened when he viewed the topic line. Opening the message, Wen quickly called for his friend. "Lay, you gotta come read this!"

"Mm...?" Lay moaned as he lowered his arm from over his eyes and looked up at Wen. "What is it?" He asked sleepily.

"Orientation is today!"

Lay's eyes snapped open at Wen's words. "What?!" Sitting up, Lay immediately joined Wen at the door and read the message on the screen.

Sure enough, it was a reminder that orientation at Azari Preparatory High Academy was going to start at 18:00 (6 pm) later that day. Wen and Lay had been so wrapped up with work and taking care of Emmi and Hanna that they had completely forgotten that Orientation Week would be starting that very day.

"What time does it say the transport will be here?" Lay inquired. He had not grabbed his glasses on the way over, so he could not see very well.

"13:00 (1 pm). The transport to the PHA from the interport takes about three hours, and it says it will take about an hour to get to the interport once they come to pick us up," Wen explained as he began fumbling around the living room in a frantic search for his holophone.

"So, we have just over two hours," Lay concluded.

"Mm. I'm going to call Mom," Wen told Lay as he activated his holophone upon finding it on the floor next to where he had been sleeping.

Upon hearing Wen's relay, Lisa hurried toward the apartment and picked up Emmi and Hanna on her way back. After ending the call with his mother, Wen and Lay began scrambling to pack their bags. All of what they owned fit into one duffle bag each. Aside from their work and school uniforms, Lay and Wen each owned three sets of clothes, one jacket, and one pair of shoes plus their slippers.

Since packing did not take long, Wen and Lay were prepped and ready by the time Lisa arrived home with Wen's sisters. After telling Emmi and Hanna that both their older brothers would be away for a while, Lisa began preparing a quick lunch and some snacks for the boys to eat on the way to Azari.

Emmi stayed particularly close to Wen during the last few hours she would have with her brother for at least another year, and Lay read Hanna a book from his holophone as he held her in his lap. Wen and Emmi helped their mother finish the preparations for lunch and packed the snacks as Lay and Hanna set the table after finishing the child's storybook.

The family had about a half hour of downtime before the transport would arrive to take Wen and Lay to Azari, so they spent that time making sure Wen and Lay each had everything they would need for their year away. Alas, when the time came, Lisa walked Wen and Lay down to the apartment complex's entrance and waited with them until the transport arrived.

Wen was expecting the transport to be along the lines of a school bus, but what arrived completely surprised him. Instead of a bus, a black, six-door hovercar set down in front of the complex. At first, Wen thought it was for someone else, but when a man stepped out of the front passenger side wearing a blazer with Azari's symbol (), Wen's eyes widened.

The man stood tall before walking to the rear passenger door and opening it. Bowing in greeting, he politely said, "Yywen Kaihan, Lay Khass, Azari is ready for you."