silence

Joseph stepped out of the shower, steam following behind him as he wrapped himself in a towel. It was three in the afternoon and he needed a refresher before meeting Y/n.

Droplets of water trailed down from his hair as he attempted to shape it. His hair had a mind of its own and would go any way it pleased.

The towel hung slightly above his hips as he riffled through his closet. Joseph wanted to wear something brighter since he was growing tired of his neutral clothing.

He decided on a deeper red sweater for a pop of color against his pale skin. He slipped on a white collared shirt underneath his solid burgundy colored sweater.

While he searched for his pants, he applied a musky cologne to his pulse points. He hoped that she would like the smell, or at least notice it.

He eventually found his favorite pair of baggy black denim, quickly putting them on as he realized he was running out of time.

Joseph hastily grabbed his few pairs of rings and a plain silver necklace. He slid on his ink-colored shoes and ran down the stairs.

He locked the front door to his house and started his motor bike. Y/n didn't live too far, and he remembered where her house was from the first time he dropped her off.

He exited his driveway and sped up on the road. As he drove, he thought about what he would say when he got there. He wanted to be punctual, since he didn't want her to hold anything more against him.

He remembered Vergoux's words and took them into consideration. Maybe Jean could get over her, but what if he didn't? Would that mean the end of their friendship?

Jean had stuck beside Joseph throughout all of his issues, whether it was losing his eye or losing his father. They had a brother-like bond that he could never break.

Before he noticed, he was already outside of her house. Joseph swallowed dryly as he turned off his bike and hopped off of it.

The feeling of dread overtook his emotions.

He rubbed his thumb anxiously against his engraved silver ring, feeling the etched in marks. Whenever he was nervous, his fingers would always find their way to his ring.

His father etched his birthdate into the ring, and it had been the final gift he gave to Joseph. It comforted him to wear it, since it felt like a piece of his father would always stay with him.

He walked up to the door to knock, but he hesitated at the last second. What would she say if she saw him outside of her door? Would she just brush him aside?

He debated with himself for what felt like months before pushing his negative thoughts away and attempting to focus on the positive outcomes.

Joseph finally built up his confidence, preparing to knock on the door.

Before his fist could meet the door, it opened. His hand paused mid-air while Y/n stared at him awkwardly.

"I saw you pull up. What took so long?" She tilted her head quizzically.

He couldn't tell her that he was internally panicking, so he attempted to choke out some excuse.