Chapter 1 : Right To The Nation's Face

(Yongsun's POV)

I feel a sharp pinch on my side.

"Stand up straight. Smile softer."

"Yes Oma" I whisper back.

I do exactly as she says. The camera flashes seem to get brighter and the crowd screaming our name seems to get louder.
Mr. Kim! Mr. Kim!

My name is Kim Yongsun, the only child of Kim Taehyung, the founder and CEO of major Korean tech company Rainbow Tech. My father is among one of the richest businessmen in the world, and first place in new tech development. He began this company shortly before I was born and never looked back. My entire 28 years of life have been in the public eye. And therefore my image, style, and choices have been made on my behalf to keep the Kim family image pristine and spotless.

Today we are at my father's annual press conference, in which the press, tech gurus, and any competitors come to discuss the future of Rainbow Tech and all its new innovations. It's quite a large event, with about 1200 people present and many more streaming online. My dad sits on a panel with some of his top executives, and my mother and I sit by his side to show face and not say a word.

"Mr. Kim!" A reporter shouts from the crowd. My father points to him to let him continue. "What new innovations should we expect from Rainbow Tech in the coming year?"

"Ah, wonderful question!" My father exclaims. "Rainbow Tech is proud to be the world leader of innovative tech. We've been working on an exciting new venture that we hope to launch later this year. We've made breakthrough developments with AI technology that we hope will be a new and fun experience for our users."

The audience begins clapping and cheering for my father and his team. My mother and I smile and nod our heads towards the "king" that my father is. He works incredibly hard, I'll give him that. I'm just not too thrilled that my purpose in life is to be a shiny porcelain doll for display.

"Mr. Kim, Mr. Kim!" Another individual shouts through the dying applause. My father ushers him to speak.

"You have a wonderful family. Does your daughter have any plans for marriage?"

The audience laughs at his question, from what I assume is this average looking man taking a shot at me. I put my head down, slapping a fake smile on my face but definitely rolling my eyes when no one can see.

My father chuckles, "My daughter Yongsun is a beautiful girl, yes. And quite funny that you ask that question."

My head shoots up in confusion as I look directly at my father. A concerned look slapped on my face, but my mother places her hand on my thigh under the table to remind me to cool it.

"Hybe Tech has been not only a wonderful business partner over the years, but a wonderful family friend to the Kim family."

I take a deep gulp, as I know exactly where this is headed.

My father continues, "CEO of Hybe Tech, Mr. Nam Joon has a wonderful son who operates as the COO of Hybe, Mr. Eric Nam. Eric is a wonderful young man and business partner, and I am more than thrilled to announce the marriage between him and my daughter Kim Yongsun."

My mothers grip on my thigh tightens on the verge of pain. My face goes flush.

The audience bursts into a roar of cheers and applause, mixed with a few oohs and awws. All eyes are on me in this moment and it takes every fiber in my being to push out the most artificial smile. I bow my head and mouth thank you to the array of flashing cameras and applause. Because every moment in my life, including this one, has only been to be a figure on display for the Kim family name.

This announcement is just as much as a surprise to me as it is to the public. This is the first time I'm hearing of such proposal, more like auction off to marriage.

Realistically I knew something like this would happen at some point in my life. That I would live out my dying days being a Kim woman married to a rich man and being masters of the universe. But deep down I had the dream that every young girl wishes for. That I would meet someone who loved me for me, despite the money and name. Someone who would treat me like a human rather than a figurine. Someone who would ask me to marry them in the most romantic way and we would live the rest of our life happily ever after.

Even farther down, I wanted it to be a woman.

-

I lay on my floor in my bedroom, doodling in my diary as every 14 year old does. I don't have much privacy in my life, but the one place I know I'm safe is my diary.

I get lost in my drawings sometimes. I like the draw out my daydreams and escape into a different world. I keep scribbling hearts around the name I had written down.

🖤Seulgi🖤

Seulgi is a classmate of mine. We don't speak much, but I spend most of my days admiring her from afar. She's so cute, and I have a big fat crush on her. She's smart, funny, and incredibly talented. She doesn't pay me much mind as a Kim, but something about that warms my heart even more.

I continue to draw hearts all over the page, and begin to draw a rough picture of what it would be like for us to kiss. My heart warms at the doodle.

"Yongsun! Dinner is ready!" My mother calls from the kitchen downstairs.

"Coming Oma!" I respond. I snap out of my daydream and close the door to my room behind me, leaving my drawing out for me to finish after dinner.

I begin setting the table in the dining room while my mom completes the finishing touches on dinner. My father walks into the kitchen to greet my mother.

"Honey, have you seen the stapler? I need to finish my report before sitting down for dinner." My father asks my mother.

"Uh, I believe Yongsun borrowed it for a school project. It's most likely in her room." My mother responds.

Unbeknownst, my father walks up to my room. He opens to door and scans the room and sees the stapler sitting on my desk. He walks towards my desk when he trips over my notebook on the floor.

"YONGSUN!" I hear my father scream from upstairs.

He storms downstairs with my notebook in hand. I immediately freeze, but I know he's furious.

"What is this?!?! What is this filth going on in your room?!" He screams in my face. I begin to tear up as I head straight to the floor to bow at his feet.

"Never, and I mean NEVER will I have a daughter interested in such filth! Not under my roof! Not with the Kim family name! Not ever!"

-

"Miss Kim! Miss Kim!" I'm snapped out of my flashback with a reporter shouting my name. I look in their direction. "How do you feel about the marriage?

I stare blankly into the crowd. Honestly I feel numb, and I feel like I have it written all over my face. But I look to my father who has the same disciplined look as always. I gulp my tears back inside and lie right to the nation's face.

"I'm thrilled, I'm thrilled to unite the Kim and Nam family."