1 - The airport

The distant hum of thunder pollutes the stale air. My strained gaze follows the filthy tiles that litter the floor with each cautious step, avoiding the obstacles of bodies that seem to be everywhere. I tighten my grip on the strap of my backpack slung over my right shoulder, slipping past a small family who seem to be lacking in pace.

An engine whirls to life behind me, the noise muffled by the wall that now separates us. A thin stripe of the crescent moon slips in through the glass as I pass straight by the baggage claim, fumbling with my earbuds while trying to fish them out of my pocket. I focus on the music blaring in my ears as I start the short trek to the terminal, drowning out the noise of hyper children arriving back home in time for school, and the methodic rumble of an airplane as it takes off or lands.

I stifle a yawn, emerging into the terminal at last, in search of a coffee shop to quench my craving for caffeine. It's still another half-hour trip to campus itself, one I'm not keen on travelling feeling drowsy despite the late hour.

I find a small Starbucks tucked away at the end of a row of various shops and slip inside, pulling the buds from my ears. It's much quieter than I had expected, anticipating a flood of people arriving back as the summer comes to an end. I suppose most are likely to head straight home after a long flight.

Upon entering, at a quick glance I note three clusters of people.

A young couple are sat together by the window, talking in a hushed whisper. They seem as though they had just arrived here on a holiday of some sort, beaming smiles and crinkling eyes. They don't appear tired, the expression of which shows whether or not they've just come back from time away. The energy radiating off them is vibrant and energetic, only talking quietly due to the presence of various others.

An older man is sat lonesome, brows furrowed as he scrolls through his phone. His neatly groomed hair and pristine black suit tells me he's on some sort of business trip. Either returning home from one or arriving to go on one is unclear to me.

Finally, a small family are tucked in a booth on the same aisle, the two teenage children looking rather bothered by the situation, one glued to his phone while the other sips at her drink in silence. The parents are trying to hold a light conversation with the pair, only gaining slight head movements and mumbles in response.

After collecting my drink, I settle at a table on the opposite aisle, letting my backpack onto the seat beside me. I open the zip and tug out a book, taking a brief sip of my iced coffee before the book is sprawled out on the table and I swiftly get swept into the story.

The peace only lasts for five minutes, broken by a melodic laugh that ripples through the tranquility and tears me from the pages.

It's a light, genuine laugh that spreads through the shop quicker than a wildfire as the owner proceeds to the counter. My head slowly snaps up, trying my best to remain discreet while scanning the room.

My curious gaze falls upon three women who had just entered the store. They're all bearing light smiles, the blonde wearing one similar to a smirk, as if she had just made a witty remark to which her friends found funny. My fingertips lightly brush over the printed text now cradled in my lap as a distraction, sharply snapping myself from my deepening thoughts and lingering gaze as it starts to become somewhat weird.

The distraction doesn't last long, when a raspy yet smooth voice is speaking, consuming my attention once again.

I can't help but watch as they reach the counter, silently absorbing their orders without recognition I had done so. A joke slips from her lips and her friends laugh again, moving a hand to swiftly tuck a loose strand of blonde hair behind her ear. My mind turns foggy, clouded over by a stream of thoughts bombarding me at once. I don't even realise I'm still looking directly at her until suddenly, she's staring right back at me.