Chapter 15

The chill of the room seeped through the thin fabric of Charlie's jacket, she should've brought a different one but Alison was in a hurry and now she was wrapping her arms around herself in a futile attempt to ward off the cold. She stood near the entrance of the spacious classroom, her eyes roaming over the myriad of unfinished paintings hung on the walls and thrown on the floor like silent guardians of untold stories.

As Alison talked with her project counselor by a canvas at the front of the room, Charlie found herself drawn to the captivating allure of the paintings surrounding her. Each canvas was a window into a unique world, a testament to dreams, fears, and aspirations. The paintings varied in style and subject matter, but each one possessed a unique beauty that left Charlie breathless. Silhouettes of women danced across some canvases, their forms fluid and ethereal, some were young and some looked older, but somehow they resembled Alison. Leave it to her to paint herself, she thought. Others depicted abstract shapes and colors that seemed to swirl and shift with a life of their own.

But it was the landscapes that captured Charlie's attention the most, their vibrant hues and intricate brushstrokes of distant lands and untamed wilderness. In some paintings, you could make out mountains that loomed large against the horizon, their snow-capped peaks reaching towards the heavens with an air of majesty. In others, a solitary cabin nestled amidst the towering trees, its windows aglow with the warm light of hearth and home. Rich hues of emerald green and sapphire blue reminded her of Alison's eyes.

As Charlie gazed upon the paintings, she felt a sense of longing stir within her, a yearning for something she couldn't quite name. It was as if the paintings held the key to a hidden part of herself, as if she was missing something she didn't even know existed.

"Charlie." Alison's voice sounded muffled and far away. "Charlie!"

It was louder and clearer this time, enough so it yanked her out of her thoughts and back into the cold classroom. She blinked, her heart slamming against her ribcage. "How did you manage to have all this space to yourself?"

"After my first art show as a freshman I asked the school if I could use this room as an art studio and they said I could do anything with it as long as I don't damage it."

"These are beautiful."

Alison nodded. "Yeah, just not good enough."

Charlie didn't want to look at her, afraid she might break whatever spell was cast into the classroom. "I think they're amazing. What's this?"

"My grandparent's ranch," said the blonde, "I used to go visit every chance I got before grandma passed away."

The girl walked towards the other unfinished canvases. "Who's this? She looks like you."

Alison chuckled. "It's my grandma when she was young. I've been trying to capture her essence - her... Life in one canvas but everytime I look at it something's missing. It's like no matter how hard I try, it's still not..."

"Good enough?"

Alison nodded. "Yeah."

The world around them seemed to fade into insignificance as Alison looked at Charlie. Her usually light green eyes were very dark, perhaps because it was so dim in the room, perhaps because of something else, she wasn't sure. Neither of them wanted to be the first to break the spell that bound them together, to shatter the fragile bubble of intimacy that had grown from a simple conversation. But reality had a way of intruding upon even the most sacred of moments, and eventually, they knew they had to look away.

Alison cleared her throat. "Look, I know I could have handled the situation at the party a lot better... But you can't blame me for everything."

"You were kind of a bitch."