Chapter 11

The next morning, Ajay woke up a little late. He realised that his wife was not there. He got up from the bed when Renuka entered the bedroom.

She said,"Oh! You're awake. I had come to wake you up. The breakfast is almost ready."

Ajay yawned. He looked at her and said,"Set the table. I am going to take a bath." Renuka nodded her head and left. Ajay took a towel and lazily walked towards the bathroom.

(After sometime) :

Renuka had just finished preparing the food when Ajay arrived. She was quite surprised and smiled a little. Ajay noticed her smile and wanted to know the reason behind it.

"What happened Renuka? Why are you laughing?"

"I am not laughing. I am just smiling. There is something which I found to be amusing."

"Is it so? What is that?"

"You"

"Me?"

"Yes, you."

"What did I do?"

"I asked you to go and take a bath. It has hardly been ten minutes and you are here. How did you bath so quickly?"

"Eh?? How did I bath quickly??? I went to the bathroom, poured water on myself, used the soap, then poured water on myself again. What do you do in the bathroom?"

"The same things.... But it takes more time."

"Why?"

"I don't know. That's the reason why I was smiling."

"It's a great mystery then. I think that we should take a bath together someday, to solve this mystery."

Ajay sat down at the table and took a plate. He pinched Renuka's right cheek and said to her,"So, what did you cook today?" Renuka did not answer his question. She took his plate and served him two freshly prepared Chapatis and fried brinjals.

The aroma of the food pleased Ajay. He took a bite and shifted his gaze towards his wife who was sitting near him. Renuka was also having breakfast. Ajay caressed her head and in a low voice, said to her,"Renuka, are you comfortable here?"

Renuka looked at him. She could sense that he was serious. His eyes were looking at her and waiting for an answer. She nodded her head in affirmation.

Ajay placed his hand on her shoulder and said,"See Renuka, everything is new for me. I don't know much about you. I don't know anything about your likes or dislikes. If you need anything or you don't like anything here, please don't hesitate to tell me. We got married. This is your home too. You are mine and just like that, I am yours too."

Renuka smiled gently.

( Ajay's parents' house) :

Swati entered her bedroom and found her husband sitting on the bed. He was reading the newspaper. She said to him,"You are here? Won't you go to the shop today?"

Bhavesh looked at Swati and answered,"No, I will open the shop in the afternoon. I have to go and renew my driving licence." Swati nodded her head. She was about to leave the room but then, she stopped suddenly and closed the door. She walked towards her husband and sat down beside him.

She looked at him. She was about to say something but hesitated. She kept staring at the picture of a politician in the newspaper that her husband was reading. Bhavesh was reading the newspaper attentively. Swati looked at him, wanting to start a conversation, but then, looked away.

A few minutes passed like that. Without looking away from the newspaper, Bhavesh said to Swati, "What happened? You are looking here and there. You open your mouth to say something but then you don't say anything. What is the matter?"

Swati sighed. Staring at an ant crawling on the floor, she said,"Do you remember my maternal brother Harish? He has invited us to his wife's Dohale Jevan ceremony."

Bhavesh nodded his head and said,"Okay, we will go then." Swati's face was covered with sadness. Bhavesh looked at her. He knew the cause of her sadness. But he did not say anything. He kept staring at her.

Swati said,"Don't you think that we should also have children? You told me that you want to wait till our conditions get better. I understand. But, I am a woman. I want to be a mother. I want to hold my child in my arms. Wherever I go, people call me a barren woman behind my back. During the auspicious occasions, they avoid me as if I am carrying a contagious disease. But, I don't want to become a mother because of them. I want a child for myself. My heart longs for a child. When I see other women with their children, my heart burns."

Bhavesh kept the newspaper aside. He cupped her face in his hands and kissed her forehead. Swati looked at him and said,"I will not pressurise you. I want my child to be loved. If you don't want a child now, I will wait. I just don't want you to blame me and my child in future if anything goes wrong."

Bhavesh hugged his wife and held her close to his heart. He had run out of words. He reflected on her words for a while. He hugged her tightly and caressed her head.

(That afternoon) :

Ajay and Renuka were returning home. They had gone to visit one of Ajay's friends. His mother adored Ajay. When she learnt that he had gotten married, she wanted him to join them for lunch along with his wife.

Ajay stopped his motorcycle on the roadside when he heard his phone ring. He took out the phone from his pocket and looked at the screen. He said to Renuka,"I need to take this call. Wait here." Ajay was talking to someone on his phone and Renuka was standing on the footpath.

A woman approached her. Renuka observed her from head to toe. She was a beautiful woman. She had worn a bright green saree and large oxidised earrings. She had also worn an oxidised necklace and oxidised bangles. The woman started speaking with her bright red lips,"You are Ajay's wife, right?" Renuka nodded her head in affirmation. The woman smiled at her. She continued,"I am Anita. I live near your in-laws' house."

With a faint smile, Renuka replied, "Nice to meet you."

Anita looked around and said,"Yeah, I am glad to meet you too. By the way, I am getting late. We will talk when we meet next time."

When she had left, Renuka turned around to see Ajay. With a stern look on his face, Ajay said,"What did she tell you? What were you talking about?"

Renuka said to him,"Nothing much. She said that she lived near your house and told me her name. Wait! What was her name? Oh yes! Anita! Her name was Anita. Then she said that she was getting late and left. That's all."

Ajay sighed. He whispered into her ears,"Don't interact with her too much. It is better to stay away from such people." Renuka could not understand anything. She looked at him with questioning eyes. Ajay whispered to her once again,"She is a prostitute. I know this. That's why, I am telling you. But don't tell these things to others. Specially our family members and the other neighbours. Did you understand?"

Renuka whispered back to him,"Yeah, I understand."

Ajay nodded his head and started his motorcycle. Renuka sat behind him and then, they set off towards their home.

______________________________________

NOTE

Dohale Jevan is an age-old tradition in Indian culture (Marathi) , which has been passed down through generations. It is a celebration of motherhood, a time when the family comes together to bless the mother and her unborn child.

(It is like the baby shower or Godh Bharai.)