Chapter 8

The day of Renuka and Ajay's wedding had arrived. The chawl was decorated with flowers and colourful fabrics. The other people who lived in the chawl were helping Renuka's family members with the preparations.

Renuka was getting ready for the ceremony. One of her cousins was helping her along with two other girls from the neighbourhood. Renuka's grandmother entered the room and gestured to the girls to leave them alone.
"You are looking very beautiful", she said. She hugged Renuka from behind and wiped the tears that had accumulated in her eyes. She helped her granddaughter to wear the green bangles.

Renuka looked at her reflection in the mirror and sighed. She said,"Aaji, am I really looking beautiful? I tried hard not to think about these things. But I can't stop myself. I had dreams like any other woman. I dreamt even though the dreams were never fulfilled. I don't know exactly. But Aaji, I think that I am greedy. I am not satisfied with what I have. I want to think that I am looking beautiful. But some things.....some things really disturb me. They come to my mind again and again."

The old woman listened to her granddaughter patiently. She placed her hand on Renuka's shoulder and said,"Don't bother yourself with such things on this auspicious occasion."

"How can I not, Aaji?", Renuka said looking at her grandmother. She continued,"I saw my mother's wedding album. She had a grand wedding. But look at me! I had to take a loan for this wedding. I can't enjoy this day even if I want to. I keep thinking about how I am going repay the loan after the wedding. My mother wore beautiful jewellery on the day of her wedding. But what am I doing? I have to wear all these fake jewellery which I got at a low price. I want to make myself happy but I am not able to."

Adjusting the Ambada on Renuka's hair bun, her grandmother said,"Do you think that these things don't bother me? We were living happily in the village. Your grandfather was a farmer. But still, he could afford to organise grand wedding ceremonies for your aunts. He even gifted them gold jewelleries. Your father did not want a village life. So, he came here. Do you know what your grandfather told him? He said to your father,'Ganpat, Bombay is not just the city of dreams but also the city of liars, cheaters and miseries. Don't go there! Stay here and work hard. Remember that the grass is always greener on the other side.' But Ganpat ignored your grandfather's words. And how would he give you gold? He could not earn enough. He also sold off your mother's ornaments to pay the debts."

She placed a box of jewellery on Renuka's dressing table and asked her to open it. Renuka opened the box. She saw a beautiful pair of Paatlya. She was surprised. She looked up at her grandmother who was smiling. Her grandmother hugged her and said,"You were very dear to your grandfather. He bought them from the goldsmith when you were born. He wanted to gift them to you on your wedding."

Does it matter whether the idol of the Goddess is made of clay or gold? The Goddess who resides in the hearts of the devotees, does not discriminate

Does it matter whether the idol of the Goddess is made of clay or gold? The Goddess who resides in the hearts of the devotees, does not discriminate. She resides in the temple of gold built by a mighty king and also resides in a poor man's cottage who has nothing but his devotion to offer.

(A few hours later)

Ajay and Renuka were sitting face to face separated by a silk shawl which functioned as a curtain. The priest was reciting shlokas and mantras. One of Ajay's cousins said,"Ajay Bhau, don't try to look at Vahini now. I know that you didn't do that till now. I just wanted to remind you. You are not supposed to see each other during the ritual. Also...."

The girl's mother glared at her. The girl stopped speaking at that instant. Rice was showered on everyone present on each side of the shawl partition.

After the conclusion of the ritual, the shawl was lowered. Ajay and Renuka laid their eyes on each other. Ajay felt that he was looking at the most beautiful woman in the world. He looked at the lady clad in a Nauvari saree in front of him. He smiled slightly. Renuka lowered her head on seeing him as she was feeling shy.

They exchanged Jaimalas and everyone showered them with whole rice. The ceremony continued. Kanyadaan was followed by the ritual of Lajahoma.

It was time for the Saptapadi. They took seven rounds around the fire and also took seven vows of their married life.

With the first round around the holy fire, Renuka vowed to be responsible for food and household while Ajay vowed to take the financial responsibilities.

With the second round, they vowed to take care of the mental and spiritual well-being of their home and their children.

With the third round, they vowed to work for the prosperity of the home and increase the finances to support and provide comfort to the family.

The fourth vow was about mutual love, admiration, and respect for each other.

The fifth vow was about the lasting friendship and to be there for each other through thick and thin.

With the sixth round, they vowed to fill each other's heart with happiness in their married life.

And finally with the seventh round, they vowed to love and honor each other till eternity.

Finally, they showed gratitude towards Agni and prayed for a blissful married life.

Renuka's cousin Rajendra came forward and twisted Ajay's ears. Ajay said,"It's hurting man!"

Rajendra said laughing,"I know that it hurts. It should! Earlier I was just your old school friend. But now, I am your brother-in-law too. I am handing over my precious sister to you. From today, she is your responsibility. Take care of her. She should not face any kind of problems. If tears ever flow from her eyes, I will hold you accountable."

Ajay smiled and nodded his head.

Finally, they took everyone's blessings. A new phase had started in their lives. They did not know what and how they were going to live. But they had realised one thing - Life is an ocean and they had to cross this ocean together.