The Wastelanders chapter 16

CHAPTER 16

My mind was like a freight train caring new thoughts through every inch of my brain. I was confused, scared, maybe even delirious. I was dreaming I had to be dreaming. James was turned to ash when the machine was turned on. Maybe the fall killed me and I was in a hell of some sorts and this was a torture, maybe I was severely injured and imagining things, maybe I wasn't crazy.

"No.....No...It cant be you, your were killed in the machine."

His eyes were black and lifeless.

"James....no...."

I still could barely move my head.

"Just leave me alone...Your not real and when I open my eyes you will be gone. Everything will be gone."

I shut my eyes as tight as I could hoping it would work, that a miracle would finally come to my rescue. I held them shut for a few moments and slowly opened them. James still stood there.

"If your going to kill me just do it already.....I'm tired of always being close to death and going through this crazy life....just end me"

His head turned sideways in a confused way. It seemed he understood me but was in a simpler state of mind.

"James?"

He crouched near me, grabbed the hat he once wore that was laying next to me, and started to sniff it like a dog. I was tired of these games and all this crap, I just wanted it over.

"JUST KILL ME IF THAT'S WHAT YOUR GOING TO DO!"

His head shot up like i had mentioned food to a starving dog.

"Please James....."

Tears were welling up in my eyes and were about to break free. I was angry once again almost uncontrollably. I gathered all my strength to move my hand, still clutching the revolver, to my face.

"AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

BANG

Nothing. Nothing seemed to happen. I fired a bullet but no hole, no blood, no death. Why was I not dead? I was tired of this life, of all the stress I carried, the burden of Jame's death.

"WHY?"

James looked up and grunted like a warthog. Tears were streaming down my face like the flood gates had let loose. James started to walk away and I was unsure of what to do.

"James....if you could hear me....don't go....if your still alive in there don't leave me."

A dark figure formed at my feet and it looked very familiar.

"ISABELLA......we have found you."

It was too much, James and now this, I felt as if I were going to explode.

"Go away."

"You wade quite an escape."

"GET AWAY."

"Please just kill me."

"But the doctors are not done."

"What?"

I was confused....doctors?

"Your very sick Isabella....please let us help you."

"No...you are freaks and made me one of you...I cant die"

"What are you talking about?"

"I just want to help my friend you are very sick."

"Friend?"

I was confused. Was I delirious? What is wrong with me?

"Yes its James."

The dark figure started to lighten up and turned to the familiar face.

"But....you were dead....your a biter....your one of them??"

"One of who?"

"A SHADOW BEARER THE THING I WAS TRYING TO GET AWAY FROM."

"Isabella your in the hospital....you were heavily drugged...you imagining things..."

"NO....It,s real I swear....I felt it....You are dead."

"No Isabella you have been sick for a long time.....the doctors said you are having hallucinations to an extreme."

"NOOOO!"

He couldn't be right I know what I saw, felt, lived. I tried moving but couldn't I was restrained by something.

BEEP BEEP BEEP

"WHATS THAT NOISE!"

"It is your heart monitor Isabella.....please, pull yourself together."

He was dressed in a button up shirt and there was a familiar face near him.

"NO...I cant....but.."

James face didn't change nor did his emotions. There was a bright flash that was blinding, almost like looking into a flashlight. James was sitting near me holding my hand that was restrained to the ground.

"No James, you are not real I am hallucinating again."

He looked at me and for the first time did I see his greenish blue eyes, notice his dirty blond hair, and his stern face. he seemed different....better.

"I must be dieing.....I hope I am."

BEEP BEEP........BEEP

A strange woman's voice echoed everywhere.

"WE NEED A DOCTOR SHES GOING INTO SHOCK AGAIN"

There was large Jolt through my body, another, and another. Everything started to grow white and bright getting changed. Chairs formed along with other things. There was a doctor standing over me, I was on a bed table like a doctors office, and restrained to it with rope. James was standing in tears and I could read his lips. Please don't give up. The room was almost perfect but I didn't care I must have been dead.

"Shes stabilizing."

BEEP BEEP BEEP

"ISABELLA I THOUGHT I LOST YOU!!!!"

"What...It all felt so real....the biters....the..everything."

"That's cause it was....it was all real until the day I was shot by that raider"

He filled me in on the details saying how the raider had given me a drug and I didn't even know. He mentioned how they had to go on with the plans of machine and let Carol and Rick sacrifice both of there lives together for love, when James was originally going to sacrifice himself. All that was left was me and James, The world was changed. I had gotten back to health and gotten to know James and became closer than ever with him. We were the best of friends but it all seemed to perfect and one question came to mind.

Is this heaven.....or just another hallucination.

THE END