The Wastelanders chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

There was a meadow. Flowers everywhere and a big tree in the middle of the field. I was confused.....was I dead. The sky was an ocean of blue and not a cloud in sight. I wasn't sure what to think, wasn't I in a snow storm. I slowly walked over to the big tree that looked to be 50 feet tall. 

"What is this"

I put my hand on the trunk of the tree and it was warm. 

"Isabella come up here with me"

It was James up in the tree almost at the top. He looked different....Happy.

"What are you doing up there, where are we, what happened"

James smiled at me and it creeped me out. He looked almost crazy but I had to figure out what this was. I grabbed the tree and started climbing. 

"There ya go follow me"

I felt uncertain of what I was doing, my stomach was in some of the biggest knots. I caught up to him and he touched my shoulder. 

"What happened, where are we...."

Everything went blurry, then it went black, and I felt as if I was falling. The scenery changed and then we were on top of a roof. James was standing in front of me. His voice was demonic

"Cmon Isabella lets go back home"

"I'm not going anywhere with you....I just want to know whats going on"

Was this hell....was I trapped here. James stepped forward

"But you need to go home and rest....me and Sam made tea"

I walked back as he approached until i couldn't move backwards. I was freaking out. What is this.

"WHY"

His face started to melt away and all I could see was a skull with flaming eyes. I stepped back and started to fall. 

"YOUR NOT LEAVING THAT EASY"

James screamed and it roared through my body like an earthquake on my bones. He grabbed my hand at the last second. It felt like a flame was on my arm and I couldn't move away, his hand was to strong. 

"LET ME GO PLEASE....KILL MEEE....I JUST WANT OUT"

I smacked his hand until there was blood running down his arm. The he let go. I free fell to the ground.

PHEW

I opened my eyes, sweat dripping down my face, and I was laying in bed back at home. Was this another nightmare of hell....was it real. I sat there almost tearing up when Rick walked through the door 

"Are you OK I could hear your screaming from the other room"

"Rick what happened....."

I was looking for a realistic answer, something that would make me feel that this is real life.

"Well I'm not sure what happened before hand but I walked in the room, you and James were gone in the storm so I ran out there after you guy....I found you unconscious and a little delirious in the snow almost dead.....You have been out for a few hours"

I though back to what really happened feeling guilty for all of it but had a bad feeling like this was still some kind of dream.

"So it was all a dream"

"What"

"oh nothing just speaking my mind......So you didn't find James"

"......We didn't have time to look....you almost died"

I was worried, angry, guilty....I didn't know how to feel. I moved over to the side of the bed and stood up. 

"Well little jack rabbit we cant go out looking for James in this storm..."

"But he could be dead or near death"

"Im sorry....hes a tough guy he knows what he is doing"

Rick motioned me into the other room as he walked away so I followed. I felt week and I needed to find James because I had a terrible feeling about him and about this whole situation.

"So the storm is getting worse and were running out of supplies, If the storm doesn't ease up-"

"no I have a better idea"

I took this as an opportunity to fix the problems. I ran grabbed, grabbed my gun and coat then ran out the door into the storm one more time.

It was worse than It was last but I was prepared for it. This time I was determined to find James and to fix the wrongs I had done. Snow was flying everywhere and I was freezing all to hell. I couldn't see to far in front of me and everything had a slightly blue tint from the snow. Every step was a challenge, but a challenge I was willing to make. 

"JAMESSSS.....WHERE ARE YOU"

There was only the howl of the wind. I already felt beat and I knew I should have rested a little more. 

It took a long time but i made it into town looking through almost every building. I walked into the the general store one last time thinking maybe this is where James had gone. The storm seemed to not have any presence in the store. I pulled out my gun and started to search every inch of the place. I walked over almost every room till I saw a terrible sight. There in the corner was a skeleton with the clothes James was wearing when he left. I started to freak out, now running over to the body tears in my eyes. I started to bawl like a child when I noticed.....This couldn't be his body, he was only gone a few hours he wouldn't have even started decomposing if he was dead. I wiped the warmth of my tears out of my eyes and checked the pockets of the body. There was only one thing, a not that read

-Dear Rick Carol or Isabella,

I know I left out of anger but I had a good reason and you will understand when the time comes. Keep your radios on and I will get back to you when our project is ready and I will be there but for now I need to think. I needed to get away from the memories of that house.

P.S.- if this is Isabella I'm sorry and 1379 5037 72656 09 21 9009 12378628

I was filled with anger and disappointment now. But I knew what the numbers meant. It was a code we made in secret if we ever needed to use it over the radios. It translated to 

TURN YOUR RADIO ON AT NOON EVERYDAY

I decided to go along with what James said and started my walk home. It seemed a lot easier walking home knowing I knew what was the next step. I got home to be chewed out by Rick but i knew he only cared for me so I took the heat and layed down. The next day I walked into the back yard sitting next to the grave of Sam. I looked at my watch

11:59 AM

I grabbed the radio down and my belt, hoping for a miracle, and turned it on. I heard static for a short while and then it stopped. 

"Isabella I don't know if you can hear me but I need to ask you something.........Did you think Sam's tea was good"