The Wastelanders chapter 10

CHAPTER 10 

It was cold. I felt as if my head wasn't on straight and I felt like breaking down. I wasn't aloud to see him. I hadn't done anything just sat on the couch crying until there were no tears left in my eyes. I just sat there motionless....not sure what to do. Carol had moved the guys body outside and I came to think...why don't we use his body for the machine instead of Carol. I jumped up and yelled.

"CAROL WAIT"

I ran as fast as I could outside.

"CAROL WHERE IS HE WE CAN USE HIM FOR THE MACHINE"

".....he's gone I burnt his body"

She got angry. We both did, our opportunity was down the drain.

I walked back inside seeing Rick walk I to the room closing the door behind him.

"RICK IS HE OK DID U FIX HIM"

"Well I got his body stable and stopped the blood flow"

I ran towards the door and as I grabbed the knob James stopped me.

"Go easy on him he's a little shaken up and in a lot of pain"

I walked though and shut the door behind me. There on the bed was James as pale as a piece of white paper sitting up with a slight smile on his face. Almost in tears I say.

"I'm sorry I should have killed him before he sho-"

"No its not your fault I heard you scream and came sprinting....I thought you were dead"

I ran over and sat next to him. He winced in pain and put his arm around me. We hugged for a short time and he laid back down.

"Rest up you need your energy"

He looked at me with a weird face and said.

"But I don't need to"

He tried to stand but I pushed him down.

"Please.....we are going to wait until you can walk to start the machine up....Rick got the thing all ready"

I thought about the worlds without biters and smiled a little. The world would seem so lifeless almost.....but safer. I walked out into the living room happy that I got to see James.

"Carol......are you still..."

"Ya I am....its ok I am happy with sacrificing myself for the good of mankind"

This was all so stressful. At some point I thought It was only going to be me and Rick left alive. I wasn't about to let James and Carol die.

As the days passed James got more color in his face and was able to move a little more everyday. Every morning, I sat with him for hours on end telling him what he missed and helping him with anything he needed.

"Isabella...."

"Ya bud"

"I wanna get up"

"No you still need to rest"

He started to move.

"No James"

He didn't listen.

I walked over to his side to make him lay back down.

"Isabella please..."

I realized he wanted to do this and I figured he felt useless to us so I held out my hand.

"Thanks"

He stood up almost falling from pain.

"Now help me go to Carol and Rick"

He had his arm around my neck and we slowly walked out into the other room. He winced a little and said.

"Hey guys start the machine up the storm is getting to a point were we almost cant go outside....we need to do it NOW"

He coughed a little blood but said he was fine. We all looked at him in astonishment thinking he was crazy, but the storm wasn't getting any better.

"Well its not that simple"

"Well then lets get started"

Rick walked into the backyard near the machine. It was at least 10 feet tall and had a few blinking lights. It had a chamber where the sacrifice, I guess you could call it, walked in and the chemicals would absorb into their body, turn them to ash, then be spread out across the globe. Rick walked over to the panel and pressed a lot of buttons shedding a slight tear in the process. The door slowly opened and Rick said.

"Carol......get ready"

Ricks voice stuttered slightly.

Carol walked slowly towards the chamber with a slight smile. James put his arm on her shoulder, pulled her back and jumped into the chamber as it closed shut.