The Wastelanders chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

 Why. Why would that be there on the gravestone. Was there something I missed while I was unconscious. Was this just another nightmare coming true. I had to get to the bottom of it, I had to end this.  I sat there for a moment letting it sink in and yelled.

"RICK GET OUT HERE....NOW"

I heard some mumbling and then he started to walk over.

TAP TAP TAP

"Ya whats up little jack rabbit"

"What the hell is that"

I pointed my cold finger towards the gravestone. His expression didn't change. 

"I have no clue bud"

I could tell he was lying because his eyes looked away for a second almost tearing up. He looked back about to say something when I cut him off.

"No I don't want some bullshit lie.....tell me the truth now"

I gave him a cold stern face letting him know I was serious. He dropped a little note and walked back in the house. I grabbed it before it could be swept away by the wind of the snow storm. It read.

-Well the project is just about complete. I'm still not sure if I can let Carol go into that machine and give up her life for mankind. We came up with an alternate solution to the sacrifice but I'm not sure if it will or should happen. Isabella doesn't even know how it works and the plan that is really going to happen. I wish she didn't know till afterwards, I don't think she will let what is going to happen actually happen so we will go along with the original plan...for now-

What was going on, why was everybody leaving me out of it. The note flew out of my hand from the force of the wind and snow. I just sat there for a minute not caring, letting the snow skim my face and body as it whizzed by. 

"What is going on"

I was whispering to myself. This wasn't right and it wasn't sitting good in my stomach.

"Isabella get in here"

It was James voice. I got up and walked into the house, starring back at the gravestone for a few more seconds before I left. 

"Ya James what is it"

He was alone in the room and looked me in the eyes.

"I know we have been a little distant with you lately but It will all even out I promise"

"James tell me the truth....why is your name on that gravestone"

"We all have to die sometime"

"U know what I mean"

He looked away for a second and said.

"You will know...in time"

"Well what did you call me in here for"

"I needed to give you this"

He held out one of his most dearest and prized possessions....his silver revolver. 

"I cant take this its your one of your favorite things in the world, besides us"

"I know....I want you to hold on to it for me....Just for a little while"

He pulled my gun out of its holster on my belt and put his into it. He started to walk away and said.

"I have to go help Rick with the project were so close to finishing"

Just like that he was gone. I was so confused and frustrated. 

BANG CRASH PHEW

The window near me had a small hole in it. Somebody had shot at us so I grabbed James revolver and took cover under the window. I heard a male voice, mid 40's.

"HEY YOU COUGH COUGH ASSHOLES I KNOW YOU HAVE SUPPLIES"

He sounded like he was drunk. I peeked into the corner of the window to see a short guy stumbling through the snow bleeding everywhere.

BANG BANG

"I SEE YOU COUGH COUGH"

I ducked down almost getting hit. James, Rick and Carol were no where to be found. 

"where are my friends when I need them, there's no way they didn't hear those shots"

There in backyard I saw all of them splitting up, I would think to flank him. I was left alone in the house. I didn't know if I should look through the window again. 

CRASH

The door smashed open and the impact made me fall on my face. 

"Hey there girl"

He grabbed my hair and yanked me up. I tried to struggle but I couldn't move he had a firm grip on me and there was blood getting all over me. 

"Wow I never thought Id see another girl hehe"

He started to move his hands over my body and I started to panic so I grabbed my knife, stabbed him in the leg, and twisted it

"OWWWWWWW"

He yelped in pain. I saw James run through the door

BANG

James fell to the ground and I tackled the guy. I screamed at the top of my lungs and grabbed the revolver

"AHHHHHHHHHHH"

BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG

I fired the shots all into his face and his body went limp. My adrenaline pumping, I got up and ran to James. Rick and Carol were running over. Rick yelled over.

"WHAT HAPPENED"

I was so startled and frightened not knowing what to do but put my hand over his wound. 

"RICK......JAMES WAS SHOT HES BLEEDING EVERYWHERE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO"

Rick ran faster. 

"OH MY GOD.....JAMES STAY WITH ME PLEASE HANG IN THERE"

The bullet hit him in the chest near his heart. I heard Rick getting closer and he said.

"HEY GET HIM IN THE HOUSE THE COLD WONT BE GOOD FOR THE WOUND"

I sat there tears streaming down my face again warmer and crazier than ever. I leaned in to hug James not caring for the blood that was flowing everywhere.

"please...hang in there....for me"

Rick ran stopping next to me, Carol not far behind. 

"Isabella we have to bring him into the house he doesn't have a lot of time before he bleeds out"

My hands were shaking like never before. Sweat was on my forehead even though it was far below 0 degrees outside. Rick grabbed his body, rushed inside, put him on the bed ruining the white sheets with his blood, and said.

"We have to hurry, hand me some Gauss we need to get his body to stabilize and stop the bleeding. We might just be able to save his life"