"Well, we can't all be winners, Mr. Isidore," Eve responded, a smirk audible in her voice. "But if you must know, I'm in Xishuangbanna trying to help this idiot Nyani stand on his own two feet."

"Are they not on the lookout for you?" Fisi asked in mild confusion. "After how you told me you vanished from this haven, surely they would have warned the others, hmhmhm."

"Nope!" Eve replied cheerfully. "Best I can figure, the big-wigs back in the First Haven were worried about how the others would respond if they learned who I am, and how close I was to the Peacekeepers. Ironically, I've become one of their 'dirty little secrets'."

"Lucky you." Fisi headed deeper into the building and pushed open an office door, revealing a room devoid of furniture or decorations of any kind.

Except for the three gold-plated hearts in the middle of the floor, seated on polished wooden bases, each with a name inscribed on a gold plate.

Billiard, Adams, and Wallace.

"Anyways, I gotta get back to playing this game of 'monkey see, monkey do'," Eve was saying sarcastically as Fisi picked up the "Wallace" heart and examined it. "You should get started on setting up HQ as quickly as possible—then we can get to finding the Keypoints. I've already got a few leads, so—"

"Yes, yes," Fisi interrupted distractedly. "It'll all be taken care of in time."

Memories of the hunt raced through Fisi's head.

"...Oh... did you find my presents? Yeah, I left them in an office I thought you'd like. It's super spacious, right?"

Fisi was silent for a moment.

Then he said quietly, "Our time is short, Eve. There is none to waste. Tell Nyani to pick up the pace, or he will be left behind."

"...We—we can't exactly leave him behind, though. We need him to do his part, so that his tower will—"

"I will run TWO towers if need be," Fisi suddenly spat, vitriol filling his words with the force of raw anger and desperation. "My hunt is not yet complete. I will subject the weak, and the apex predator will reign absolute! If you or anyone else cannot keep up, either get off the boat or get out of my way! Am I clear?"

Another moment of silence passed, this time on Eve's end.

Then she responded calmly, "I understand, Mr. Isidore. Rest assured, I will get Nyani in line. Don't worry about a thing."

"Feh. I expect nothing less, heeheehee." Fisi hung up without allowing Eve to bid him farewell, then exhaled and sat down in the middle of the room.

-

Put up a real fight this time.

-

Fisi scratched behind one of his ears furiously.

-

Break free.

-

A giggle slipped out of his lips.

-

He's a bloody psychopath.

-

A face, flashing through his mind. Familiar. Cruel.