Part 3 ~ Chapter 20

"Do you have to go..?" Kala asked sadly as she clung to her father's leg.

Hiccup gave her a sad smile as he gently pried her off his leg and crouched down to be eye level with his four year old. "Yes, my little flower, I have to. It's a mandatory meeting that requires the chiefs to bring their heirs with them. We won't be gone that long though, okay? Grandpa and I will be back in a couple days, I promise."

Kala whined, but nodded in defeat. "Okay.."

"Hey, it won't be that bad. You'll have your Auntie Astrid and Uncle Snotlout to look after you while we're gone." Hiccup said with a soft smile.

Kala glanced over at her aunt and uncle who were conversing with her brother, Snotlout having Toothless in a headlock as the hatchling tried to escape, then glanced back at Hiccup with a small nod.

"Yeah, I guess there's that.." She mumbled.

Hiccup pulled her into a tight hug, which she returned as tight as she could.

"You better live up to your promise Daddy.."

Hiccup chuckled and kissed the top of her head. "I will, Kala. I swear it. Just a couple days and we'll be back before you know it."

When they separated, Hiccup gave her one last kiss on the forehead then stood and left the hut to catch up to Stoick. Kala sighed and went over to the others, clinging to Astrid's leg. Astrid looked down and smiled at her, ruffling her hair.

"Cheer up firecracker. I know you're not used to it, but it's only for a couple days. Your dad will be back in no time." Astrid said with a soft smile.

Kala nodded a bit, not saying anything in response.

Toothless was finally able to get out of Snotlout's hold and huffed as he went upstairs to escape their uncle. Snotlout laughed a bit and shook his head then put his attention on the youngest Haddock, noticing her down in the dumps state.

"Uhh..you wanna mead?" He asked as he rubbed the back of his neck, not sure how exactly to cheer her up.

"She's four!" Astrid exclaimed.

"I don't know, what am I supposed to do with her?!" Snotlout shot back.

"Spend time with her and not make her sick by giving her mead of all things! You know she's a dragon!"

"Well excuse me for not knowing how to cheer her up!"

Astrid groaned as she picked Kala up and left the room, ignoring Snotlout as he followed and tried to explain himself.

~~~HTRYNF~~~

"Come on, kids! We're gonna be late!" Hiccup yelled from the porch of the Haddock household with Astrid by his side.

"Coming!" Toothless yelled as he and Kala rushed downstairs to catch up with their father and aunt.

Kala stumbled slightly on the last step, but Toothless noticed in time and helped her correct her balance. Hiccup smiled slightly at the sight and motioned them out the door.

"Come on, let's go. We don't wanna be late for the meeting." He said as he ushered them off the porch.

Kala stopped in her tracks with wide eyes as she remembered something. "Wait! I forgot Hiccup!" She exclaimed, easily dodging her brother as she dashed back into the hut.

Hiccup stopped with a confused look as he watched his youngest bolt back inside and looked at his sister with a raised brow.

Astrid stifled a laugh and shook her head.

"Astrid, what did she mean by that?" Hiccup asked, genuinely confused about the situation.

"Do you seriously not know the name of your daughter's favorite toy?" Astrid asked as she rested a hand on her hip with an amused look on her face.

"What does Kala's wolf plush have anything to do with.." Hiccup began to say, trailing off at the end as his eyes widened in realization. "She named it after me?"

"Yes, yes she did." Astrid said with a small laugh.

"She's been calling that plush Hiccup for months now Dad. You just now found out?" Toothless asked with a raised brow.

"Well I never heard her say what the name was, so I just assumed she hadn't named it yet. I mean she's had it since she was a year old." Hiccup explained, a bit embarrassed.

His attention was torn away from the conversation when he felt Kala's little hand grab hold of his own and he looked down at her to see her plush tight in her grasp.

"Okay, now I'm ready." She said with a cute smile and the family continued on their way to the Great Hall.

"So the wolf's name is Hiccup, huh?" Hiccup asked, which earned a nod from the hatchling.

"Uh huh."

"What made you decide on Hiccup, little one?"

"Well I hear you, Grandpa, Auntie Astrid, Toothless, and all the other adults say it all the time and I thought it sounded nice. So, Hiccup the Wolf." Kala explained, holding up the plush at the end to emphasize the name.

Hiccup chuckled. "Fair enough."

~~~HTRYNF~~~

The following day, Kala was spending time with Hiccup while he worked in the forge, playing a safe distance away from the forge itself with her wolf plush as Hiccup worked away on fixing a customer's saddle.

"Hiccup, could you come help me out for a moment lad?!" Gobber asked from the other side of the forge.

"Yeah, coming!" Hiccup answered as he quickly finished up what he was working on, then made his way over to Gobber to help him out.

Kala heard the conversation from where she sat on her father's personal work desk and her eyes widened as she looked between her dad's retreating form and her wolf plush as it all fell into place in her little mind.

"So that's why everyone says Hiccup all the time.." She whispered as she placed her plush in her lap and locked eyes with it. "Because that's Daddy's name. Not just some word everyone says. No wonder. Well, Hiccup the Wolf, guess we finally figured out who you're named after."

As Hiccup was heading into his personal work area in the back of the forge as he finished helping out Gobber, he overheard the last bit of Kala's one way conversation and raised a brow as he leaned against the doorframe.

"What'd you figure out, little one?" He asked with a small smile on his lips, already knowing the answer.

Kala looked up at him with an adorable smile. "Why I chose the name Hiccup for my plushie."

"And why'd you choose that name?" Hiccup questioned as he sat on the stool in front of the desk to show Kala she had his full attention.
"Because that's your name Daddy. And you're my most favorite person in the Nine Worlds." Kala answered with the sweetest smile she could muster as she held her plush close to her chest.

Hiccup smiled back and scooped her up into his arms, not caring that some blueprints slid off his desk as he did, holding her close to his own chest as he nuzzled her head.

"And you're my most favorite person in the Nine Worlds, my little flower. Just don't tell your brother I said that." Hiccup said, whispering the last part which made Kala giggle and nod.

"I won't, I promise."

~~~HTRYNF~~~

Part 3 is finished! Part 4 will be the second movie, so keep an eye out for it! Hope you enjoyed the random little adventures da smol Fury family went on in this part. Also, did you catch the reference that was in this chapter? Lemme know what you think it was! Peace out my li'l embers!