Chapter 04

With hair blown out and loose, Skyler woke up Miles and Maya with breakfast. She goes to Aubrey's bedroom to give her breakfast. The girl is laying half dead in her bed.
"Aubrey?" Skyler put the tray down and sit down on the bed touching the girl's arm. "Hey, wake up."
"Hmmm?" Aubrey moans softly and just turn her head. Skyler feels her head and jump up immediately. She rushes out and grab her phone. She calls the doctor and afterwards Raymond.
"I came as quick as possible," Raymond says rushing into the kitchen. She nods and runs up to Aubrey's room with him.
"She's burning up with a heavy fever," Skyler says to him and go to Aubrey taking the temperature meter from her. She shows it to him and take a seat on the bed putting the damp clothe on her forehead. Raymond watches her closely. "The doctor is on his way. He will say whether she should be hospitalized or if she's okay."
"I'll call her mother in the meantime to find out if she has any medical issues," Raymond says and walks out.

"She's okay. Just a fever," the doctor says to them. Skyler sighs relieved. "I gave her a few things so she will be alright."
"Thank you doctor," Skyler thanks him and go to Aubrey touching her face dearly. "You're okay, Aubrey."
Raymond walks the doctor out while having a few words with him.
Skyler takes a seat and take Aubrey's hand into her. Aubrey moans and look at her.
"Hey baby," Skyler whispers softly and touch her cheek. "Are you hungry? Can I make you something to eat?"
"S-skyler," she takes her hand into hers. "Where's dad?"
"Here I am," Raymond smile rushing into the room. He goes to her other side and take a seat. "Hey my little bird. How are you feeling."
"Numb," she whispers and smile softly at Skyler. "I'm thirsty."
"I'll get you something to eat and drink," Skyler says and get up slowly. She rushes out leaving Raymond with his daughter.
"Do you always get this sick?" He asks her. She smiles and look away from him to the window. "Aubrey, are you..."
He looks away as well keeping quiet. She looks at him and inhale deeply.
"I'm okay dad," she replies.

Skyler place a cappuccino in front of Raymond that is seated at the table. She sits down in front of him and fold her fingers around her warm cup.
"I don't get it. She was fine," Skyler says and shakes her head slowly. "She didn't show any signs of fever or anything. I mean, you saw her."
"She is very keen on you, Skyler," he mentions and pick up his cup. She sighs and shakes her head slowly.
"I wish I could do more for her," she whispers.
"Are you married?" He asks her. She looks surprised at him.
"No, I'm not married or involved with anyone," she replies and look down at her cup. "I'm not interested in those things. If they don't run your life to the ground, they leave."
"That might've been your experience, but not all relationships end like that," he replies. She raises an eyebrow at him. "What work do you do?"
"I'm a stay-at-home mom," she replies. He chuckles same as she. "What? You don't think that's a job?"
"No I didn't mean to laugh about that," he chuckles. "Sorry. I was just surprised. I thought you'd be into hair, make up or fashion."
"Okay, I'm not sure whether I should take it as a compliment, but thanks," she giggles and look at the time around her arm. "I should probably go check on Aubrey."
"She's good for now," Raymond smiles. She looks at him and inhale deeply. "Skyler, something happened between Aubrey and her mother. Alice wants to give her up and I think she knows that."
"Why?" Skyler gasps looking unhappily at him. "Who would give up their own daughter? What did she do to deserve this even?"
"I've been looking for that answer myself," he replies and sits back. "The way I understood, Adrian never had a problem with her, only her mother."
"Who's Adrian?" Skyler asks.
"Her stepdad," he replies. Skyler nods her head slowly and bring her cup to her lips.
"So are you going to let Alice write her off to you?" Skyler asks. He nods his head happily. "Good, because I nearly thought about adopting her."
"Well, you can still do that," he replies. She smiles at him and sit back in her chair. "What? She will need a mom and as far as I'm concerned, she has taken a lot of like in you. So far, Sadie is in no condition of being her mother, nevertheless stepmother."
"Okay, I will do that then," Skyler replies happily. "But then we must come on a mutual agreement that she makes her own choice where she wants to spend her nights and you on the other hand have to trust me that I won't give her up easily or let her go."
"Sure, as long as she's happy," he smiles back at her. She giggles in excitement looking at Miles and Maya that enters the kitchen looking surprised at them.
"Hi, how's Aubrey?" Maya asks.
"She's resting now," Skyler replies and get up putting her arms around the twins. "Raymond, meet my twins, Maya and Miles. Kids, meet Aubrey's dad."
"Nice meeting you sir?" Miles smiles and shake his hand. Raymond nod impressed at him and look at Skyler. "You look so familiar, though."
"I'm a lawyer," Raymond smiles at him.
"Ah you were at our school," Maya giggles and grab her mother around the waist. "Nice boyfriend you finally got."
"No, stop," Skyler says and grab her around the body tickling her. Maya hang on dear life laughing. Skyler kiss her head and let her go. Teasingly Maya spanks her mother before running up. Skyler gasps and place her hand on her mouth watching Miles go up as well.
"Now I see why Aubrey adores you so much," Raymond says. Skyler giggles and shakes her head taking her seat again.