The Howling Birthday

Start from the beginning

I felt the strange sting of tears forming and quickly looked up to will them away...only to have them spill over when I saw what was above me. Hanging from the ceiling were constellations of the Greek heroes.

"Molly, you're the best." I croaked out, sniffling.

She smiled brightly, seemingly lighting up the room brighter than the Aurora Borealis.

"Don't cry, peaches, it took forever to do your make up in the car without messing up." she teased before handing me a card.

I blinked, glancing down. "What is this?"

"What goddess you are. Everyone here is a goddess, god, hero or monster." Leila appeared mysteriously, nearly scaring me. "Sorry, that damn door wouldn't lock again."

I chuckled before opening the folded card to see a sticker.

"Hello, My Name Is Artemis." I read aloud. "My favorite goddess, this is amazing! Thank you so much!"

She nodded like she already knew that from the start "Now shoo, go enjoy!"

I was a bit hesitant to put the sticker on my dress, so I put it on my right glove instead. Leila looped her arm through mine, her blond curls flooding my view as she pulled me to where the snack where.

"Look!" she excitedly pointed to the various snacks.

"Oh God. Mystery Roast made by Lycaon?" I grimaced at the names. "Maybe you shouldn't have included menu items with human remains."

Leila's blue eyes widened. "What? I thought this was pig."

Beau's voice was heard before he was seen, appearing right behind me. "It is. I was just being creative with the names."

I turned away, smacking him on his arm. "Seriously? Why couldn't you pick something less...sickening?!"

He laughed, clutching his stomach as he doubled over. "Is pomegranate seeds from the Underworld better?"

I rolled my eyes as I felt my own laughter starting to rise. "Shut up,"

Beau straightened up. "It's alright, really."

"So what are you?" I crossed my arms, noticing Leila stuff her mouth with the pomegranate seeds out of the corner of my eyes.

"Apparently I am Orion the Hunter." he pulled the lapel of his suit back to reveal the name tag he received.

"Who was in charge of name tags?" I muttered, knowing fully well that this was probably done on purpose. Beau as Orion, the one man who stole Artemis' heart? This had Molly written all over it.

"I did."

I snapped my head up to meet his green eyes. "Seriously?"

He gave me that cheesy smile that would've made the younger me's stomach do cartwheels. "Yup, I did the research when I was still in Chicago, Molly was too busy getting all the decorations to handle the name tags, so I thought it would be a good idea to them. Though I think Molly made a couple extra earlier when we were setting up." he cupped his chin in thought.

"HEY BIRTHDAY GIRL!"

A heavy arm slung around my shoulders. 

"Mi-Michael?!" 

The guy from my morning class grinned. "You remember me!"

"Yeah, of course I do." I narrowed my eyes, flicking him on the forehead. "You can't stop nagging me to wake up when the lectures are going on."

"So 21, huh? How does it feel?"

I shrugged. "Same as any other day."

Where were they?