"Where are the papers?" I asked, still fixated on the natural beauty around me.

My attention was on the sparrows perched on the branches of the tree to my right. One of them was delicately pulling a dry petiole of a leaf.

"Property papers?" the dealer inquired.

Ignoring him momentarily, I retrieved my phone, opened the camera, and captured some pictures of the view. Tulips adorned the scene, reminding me of her fondness for them. Her maternal room boasted many pictures of tulips, and even her profile picture featured one. She cherished the flowers I gave her, preserving them with care.

I will gift it to her when this mansion is renovated.

"Of course, property papers," I replied, turning to face him with a forced smile.

"I was just asking. Do you really want to buy this in one visit?" The dealer bowed a little. I signaled to my assistant, who was standing at the end of the hall. He walked over to me promptly.

"I prefer not to spend my time repeatedly observing the same thing," I replied. Raj, my assistant, pulled the check out of his pocket and handed it to me.

"This is very generous of you," the dealer began with his flattery. I smirked and signed the cheque, pushing it towards his side.

"This is for the renovation; I will give the money directly to the owner," I stated.

He nodded, took the cheque, and stuffed it into his bag. He then pulled out the property papers, and I signed them without hesitation.

My whole day was spent in my office, poring over property files and grappling with the tension of the pending land issue.

Just one more year and the entire piece of land would be in Dhilion's hands. What had I been thinking? I married for the heir, and now I was halfway into pulling my wife from her bad memories and being a part of her life. 

But what about this land? It was home to thousands of families, and because of my selfish desires, many would soon be homeless.

It had been days, and she was already so distant, barely speaking to me properly. Her words were limited, avoiding any long conversation. 

Someone once said, "Women are trouble." Their moods are unpredictable, and they can be damn confusing. Rightly said.

Didn't she agree to get intimate? My goodness, I hadn't even made a move, or else she'd hide her face for a damn year or more.

Shaking off her thoughts, I focused on driving. Today was later than usual, and after steering through light traffic, I finally parked the car on the porch. I hopped out, walked to the house, and swiped the card lock, ushering myself in.

My eyes raked through the house as I walked further, heading to the kitchen, but she wasn't there. She's always either here or in the living room until I arrive. My brows furrowed; the entire mansion was immersed in eerie silence. The floor-length glass wall curtains were open, but the door was closed.

A memory of Neil crossed my mind, and I turned to the spot where he used to stand, but he wasn't there either. A surge of panic gripped me.

"Anandita!" I yelled her name in a hurry, my heartbeat racing. Neil was one of my loyal men; he couldn't do anything to harm her.

I ran upstairs with long strides, pushing the door of our bedroom open. She wasn't there. I checked the bathroom and then ran to check the other rooms, but she was nowhere to be found. I pulled my phone out, raking a hand over my hair in tension.

Dialing her number, it rang continuously, but she didn't pick it up. My brows scrunched as the soft ringing sound filled my ears. The sound was coming from the kitchen. I ran again, and I found her phone near the stove. She was so careless.