Chapter 4 Part 10 Life of a Scholar

A chess game before dinner always made me forget and smile at the same time.

My only opponent in the house is probably busy, but I know exactly how to get her to play. Just unpack the board and then wait till she sees it. She is a fierce opponent with a never-giving up spirit. That is the only way we end up in draws or equal in points. We keep count to make sure no match is just played because you are bored.

Jacqueline!!!!!!

I yelled, hoping to get her to come to the living room.

What do you want? As she made her way to the living room.

Do not shout my name again. Just ask nicely when you feel like losing.

Did you have a bad day again?

She loves playing white, although her cupboard full of black clothes says otherwise.

My strategy is very simple. Play for a draw, but if you get an opening to win, go for it. Usually, I'm very confident in my ability, but have learned to play cautiously against her after a couple of losses.

I found a pattern in her middle play, from the last few games, but she had a thing for different openings.

The only way to get better is to keep improvising and wait for a mistake.

Her first move put a genuine smile on my face. It made me so happy that I have someone to play with at home. She came with her earphones on. Guess there will be no talking. I responded by copying her first moves.

Pawn to D5.

Pawn to E6.

Seems like she is going for King's pawn game opening.

Followed by a knight on the Queen's side to C3.

You can tell a lot from the start of a game and it looks like it will be a long game.

While deep in thought at the start of the game, can you believe it? I heard our names being shouted by my grandmother. That can only mean one thing.

Dinner time!

One thing my grandmother did not tolerate was food standing there in the kitchen and getting cold, so we rushed to the kitchen to eat. The game was still in the early stages, so there will be no need for any cheating.

Potato bake and lamb stew curry.

If nothing in life ever made you pray, food sure made me do just that. Not because we didn't have any but because it was so good.

My mind always worked overtime while eating my favourite food or enjoying myself. I still had time to think about other things like the current game we playing and, of course, Shareen Boughan. Wondering if she is thinking about me as well.

After eating, we played further but decided to put the game on the shelf for the next day, knowing the position of every piece.

My mind full of information, made me try to offload it on paper before my eyes closed.

I still cannot describe her to myself. No wonder I can't speak about her with anyone. She possessed a power, unlike anything you will find again. Even at this age, imagine 10 years later. A mustard seed type of power, you have to get really close to witness it.

Like a car with immense power, but it was still spinning in a circle, not knowing if she would go straight, she will have direction.

Let me get some rest tomorrow is Friday, and it requires energy.

Happy Friday everyone. Woke up feeling like I had a purpose in this world. I just don't know what it is yet.

Waking up early in the summer is a joy. No complaints about getting out of bed. It is the winter that sometimes holds me back, but we passed that at least or when I am drained.

There is even time for breakfast. Can you believe it?

Took my bag and headed out, greeting everyone. Strolling on the sidewalk, making up my own tunes. Being early is such a blessing.

The early worm feeds on the moistened leaves before the sun dries them up like cornflakes. I arrived at school, an empty place with just a few students looking like zombies in a deserted place. The effects of waking up to your alarm because you feel excited to go to school.

Time moves slowly when you are early, but the moment you are late, it is another story. Took some time to check that I took the correct books for today. Been at this school for four years and still there are some places where we never just sat and chilled.

Greetings from students passing me by, I might just get voted for and replying with an even better response. I have this weird thing when people greet me, where I bow down in a way to show respect. Must be from my previous life.

Students started entering the gates in groups.

Finally, a familiar face.

None other than Vin entering the gates.

Vin: Wow, someone decided to open the school today.

Simon: You got to do it once or twice just to say you did it.

I got pranked this morning by someone who messed with the alarm and I just played along to make that person's day will repay them in kind.

Happiness makes you overlook the small things.

Please like and share