Chapter Seventeen

Ashanti let out a sigh as she saw a cop car sitting directly outside of the boutique. This became a part of her life for the last month - having a cop car present almost everywhere she went. Although things haven't changed or happened since getting the news, Lucas did not want to take that chance. She walked in and was greeted by Gia, who had the biggest smile on her face.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as she hugged Ashanti.

"I had to get out of the house. I hate to say it, but with everything going on, Lucas was suffocating me a little bit." Ashanti admitted, making her way to the office to sit.

Gia let out a laugh. "Well, he is a cop, so I'm pretty sure he just wants to protect. Not to mention you did get kidnapped and was missing for oh I don't know, your entire pregnancy."

Ashanti knew she was right, but she still felt like she needed a change in scenery just for a couple of hours. It took a lot of convincing for Lucas to let Ashanti leave the house without him.

"Are his parents still here?"

Ashanti shook her head. "No, they left after the first week."

"Well, cut that man some slack. Y'all been through a lot in the first year of your relationship, so it's not something easy to just forget. Who has the baby?"

"He does." She sighed, leaning back in the chair. "I feel bad for saying this, I love my baby, I do... but I kind of miss when it was just us, ya know. I feel like we been a little more mean to each other lately."

"Both of you or just you?" Gia asked with a raised eyebrow.

Ashanti sighed in defeat. "Okay, me." She grumbled. "It's just.. been a lot."

"I think I know what you need. A date night."

Ashanti gave her a flat look, "Don't people usually wait until like a year before going on dates after having a baby?"

Gia shrugged her shoulders. "I'm not sure, I guess it depends. Look at it like this, you guys were forcefully separated from each other for almost eight months. Then you guys got like two minutes together before you had to have your baby. Your house has been full of people since you've been home, you guys need serious alone time. Shit like that changes people and you need to get to know each other again."

Ashanti couldn't argue with Gia. She was right. After everything that happened, she didn't feel like her old self. She was robbed of a beautiful experience and it changed her. Aside from therapy, she never really talks about how everything changed for her.

Ashanti lingered around the store for a little while longer discussing expansion plans and money before heading home. When she got home, she saw a cop car sitting across the road street and ignored it, heading inside.

It was very quiet and she didn't see Lucas downstairs. She quietly went upstairs and checked the baby nursery. She smiled when she saw the baby sound asleep in her crib and Lucas sound asleep on the floor next to it.

A wave of guilt came over her as she looked at him. She knew that he just wanted her to be safe and protected at all times, but she felt like she was trapped in a bubble and couldn't get out. He treated her like a piece of glass that would break if you even looked at it wrong.

She quietly walked over and leaned down, placing a hand on his back. He tensed up under her touch, but relaxed when he saw it was her. She motioned for him to be quiet and follow him. He stood up and they both walked downstairs.

"When did you get back?" He asked as he stretched.

"Just now." She said as she grabbed a bottled water; taking a sip. "I was thinking, we should go out. On a date night."