chapter 16 | reunion

Wooly came from behind the tree, brushing off his jacket sleeve

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Wooly came from behind the tree, brushing off his jacket sleeve. "Phew, good thing that red head rabid dog is our friend." Carina whisks a fixed blade through the strands above his cartilage. He halted, wide-eyed, and searched back, seeing the knife through a crow's neck as it collapsed to the ground.

"Mind your tongue." Then she looked at me. "You're alive?" I thought they killed you. "That's what your parents said." Carina brought me in with a hooked arm, hanging it around my collar, touching temples. "Everything will be alright." Carina gave another squeeze before releasing. "Tell me, where have you been?" With a more pressing gaze. Confusion struck me as I tried to think. Dead, I supposed, lingered. That is the only obvious answer.

"Dead." Wooly reacted. "He's not all the way there." He tapped his temple as I eyed him, agitated.

"You're roaming the woods. How haven't you found anyone yet?" She had me glare up at her. Busted. If she senses my weakness within me, everyone else will, too. This is bad.

"If your senses were any good, you'll know I just touched soil." I stumbled away, lessening my limp, but she perceived right through it.

"That is what I've been telling him the entire time." Miska turned my course.

Carina cat eyed her. "I'm sorry, but who are you?" She cracked back at an attitude that fights lions.

Miska poked her chest, but I interrupted, knowing exactly what she was going to mention. Now is not the hour for making assumptions; we have many more important things. I wandered ahead while Carina caught all the ques, something I tried to avoid. She remained behind, trailing along to help me find her quicker. I can only pray that I get my strength when it counts. My dire isn't pulsing within. I hope I didn't demolish that part of me.

Miles in between the snow cap mountains, we traveled. "Do you smell her?" Miska stepped ahead of me while Carina kept eerily quiet, eyeing us.

"I -" How could I not detect her? I could catch her scent even at this distance. But I am ill. And if I don't shake it soon, I won't be able to protect any of us.

Carina clutched my arm as I glanced down at it and mugged her. "You should camp off the trail tonight and go in the morning. You coming back is a lot to handle, so perhaps let her get a good night's rest." She had a point but was so eager to see her as I stared into the distance, longing to leave. She can sleep in my arms. "I promise I will take you exactly where she is." She pushed the issue.

Do you mean she knew this entire time and said nothing? What is her reason? Wanting to probe her took its course, but I gave in and grabbed a broken log on the ground for the fire. "Whatever; I guess." It's been a year. Whether I go now or tomorrow, it won't make a difference. It fell to nightfall as we sat around the fire. I'm too worked up to sleep.

"How did you two meet?" Carina started the conversation, but only the churning wind was keen to answer the question.

"The Omega Princess saved him from a pack called the Seven Shadows. We found him buried in snow after the Loner Ark tribal defense ran them away." Wooly responded, chowing through a stomachless baked crow.