chapter 8 | run

"Anyway, Gemma Hemma, I was stopping by to grab my textbook

"Anyway, Gemma Hemma, I was stopping by to grab my textbook. I am studying with this hot frat nerd and oh my Gawd." Ainsley fluttered as if seduction possessed her.

"You okay?"

"Woah." She twirled the book in the air with a playful grin, skipping into the hall. "Later." She winked, shutting the door after.

It locked, and Xannon exited the bathroom with bright marble straw wheat iris, broad and judgmental. "You have an interesting group of allies. Solid news. Cage isn't near the premises. This school crawls with humans. You are safe for today, but you should depart before tomorrow."

"To where?"

"Anywhere but here. He wants you dead."

"But why?" I plop on my pillow, removing it from my butt and onto my face. "I wanted to join the cross-country team."

"You could consider it a Head-start." His jested dad joke tempered my nature, but I gave him the miffed expression. Leaving is a substantial compromise after settling here for so long.

"Why are you treating me like you know me?"

"Tracking Cage has taught me who you are and immediately identified your unmistakable scent. Which signs a death note because of lack of protection. Still in disbelief, he outsmarted me." His unsettled sighs are filling the area. "Everything is such a mess." He leaned his forearm on the upper wall, searching the courtyard.

"You are giving me a migraine." I rub my temples.

"There is another visitor. Disappear before your people get hurt. Impossible to shield them all." He fled, stillness spread with tough choices I have to decide. Almost two years. Your passing drained my soul empty, missed goodbyes, and absent I love you. I experienced what we had, but they robbed me. What wisdom should I offer to myself in this crisis?

You are gone, there's no changing that.

The sound of a jarring heavy roll rises upward, hitting its limit. Quinn rushed in, squeezing his way through the window. These boys are close to an exile from my room. When I am gone, where would they hang? "A hand here?" Qu's height always gets him jammed.

"If I assist you, that is helping the cause."

"Awe, Hobbit, don't be like that."

I sweep my eyeballs to the ceiling fan with a bone weary sigh, hating how his shoulder bumps the frame out of balance. Fragile built, for sure. "Alright, alright." I scurry to his side, overlapping his arm around my neck, easing him out by his pants.

"Am I a rag doll to you?"

"You're acting raggedy, goofy." Then it dawned further. "Why? Just why through the window?" I cleared him.

"Alright, mother dearest. The security is hovering around the entrance asking for school IDs. Good thing you are on the first floor." He propelled my forehead out of line to claim the lavatory. "I gotta whiz."