chapter 4

Howling 4

It was late in the port town near a chain of islands owned by Lord Michael. They started to light torch lanterns; it was cold, and the townsfolk wore coats. In a bar, workers were enjoying themselves after a long workday. They drank and ate; some talked about their day, while others spoke about business. It was getting rowdy in there; Edward was sitting at a table with one of the townsfolk.

"I tell you, friend, the harvest festival is the best. There is no other town that can do something as great as us," said the man; he was a fruit picker. He worked picking fruits from the orchards on the islands—Edward ordered more alcohol, "So, will Lord Michael be here for the festival?"

The man said Lord Michael was too busy to go to the festivals; he praised him and said he was a generous lord. Edward asked to know more about him. The older man talked about the islands and how Lord Michael used magic to help grow some trees, "He saved our livelihoods."

Another man heard them and added that Lord Michael was an intelligent businessman, "He bought this whole area and helped it thrive; to make sure everything goes smoothly when he is here, he built a house on the last island. He keeps a close eye on things." Edward asks more about the house.

The older man told him it was a two-story mansion; there was a small orchard behind that was there for show. Edward listens to him; he then asks if anything unusual has happened recently. The man thinks; the other older man again buds in; he talks about a party Lord Michael was going to have.

"It was a real shame; It was canceled, and he had to leave the following day." The adventurer asked if anyone was living there. The older man said he had seen maids and two men. "Sam and Mike, those two come and get supplies once in a while," said the other man. Edward orders more drinks for them.

"One more question; have you ever seen a beautiful wolf-beast girl on that island?" The men think they said there were no other people there, "Only humans are working on the island." Edward thanks them, and he leaves. The men kept drinking and thought nothing about it.

Edward returns to his room; the rest of the group is relaxing. They gather when he arrives; Edward goes over what he has heard. The group has been going to every island and investigating; they had no luck as they discussed their next move: the adventurer who spied on the house returns.

"It's just like you said," he said, walking in. Edward smiled, "What can you tell us?" The spy adventurer began talking about the island; he said it was a large island with a two-story house at the center. He said there was no wall, and an orchard covered the back. Edward remembered what the older man at the bar had said.

"Are there any guards," he asked. "I only saw a beast-man walking around," he replied. The Fred became interested, "What is he like?" "Wolf beast folk, he looks like a slave warrior and doesn't seem to be a threat." "Why do you say that," Fred asked. "He didn't notice me," he said confidently; they both laughed.

Edward began to think. He reviewed their information, "All right, this should be easy and simple. Our information said there would be two men on that island; now also a wolf beast-man; he would be our only trouble." Fred wanted to fight him. "Leave him to me; we don't know how strong he is, so we shall draw him away from the house."

Edward gave them tasks; Fred would join the other team and draw the beast-man way. Once they did, they would get rid of him. His team will search for the girl, "What about the maids," said someone. Edward said they were no threat, "If they decide to fight, we will eliminate them."

After establishing their role, they needed to plan; Edward said he would also inform the other team of their plan. After he finished, he headed out and told the other team. After that, he goes to the post office; the worker greets him, "Hello, how can I help." "I would like this to be delivered," he hands the post worker a letter. Edward leaves and returns to the inn.