Chapter 3

Howling 3

The sun had set, and it had become nighttime; Adolpha was lying on her bed looking through her window. She hears something coming from behind the cabin and picks up the scent of smoke. Adolpha gets up and goes over to the window; she looks out. The sound of bushes scares her, and she returns to bed; she pretends to sleep. A shadow stopped by her window; it then left after a while.

The shadowy figure walks to the house and stops; again, it leaves after a while. It makes its way to the dock; the moonlight sheds light, and it is Wolf. Wolf looked like a fit beast-man; his clothes were ripped. Wolf reaches the dock and looks around; after a while, he leaves.

Wolf made his way around the island, ensuring nothing suspicious; he returned to his made tent and sat by a fire. Wolf had a collar, just like Adolpha. Wolf noticed some food scraps on the floor; that was what they fed him. He takes them and eats; after he does, he goes on patrol again.

When the sun rises, he returns to his tent and sleeps. Adolpha woke up and was ready for her day; she waited for the maids to feed her. When the maids came to bathe her, she tried asking them about Wolf. They ignored her at first; one of them felt sorry for her. Adolpha again, in a soft voice, asked about Wolf.

One of the maids was throwing the water away; the other was cleaning her plates. She began to speak, saying, "Wolf is Lord Michael's prize fighter; I heard he has won many fights for him." She also mentions that Lord Michael left him to protect the island. Once they finished, they went; Adolpha, in a soft tone, thanked her.

Later that night, Adolpha was lying on her bed looking at the sky and heard Wolf getting ready. She pretends to sleep; Wolf passes her window and looks in. He sees her and walks away; Adolpha gets up and goes to the window. She sees him; Adolpha stares at him. Wolf felt her staring; he ignored her and continued his patrol.

The following morning, Adolpha woke up and went to her window; she waited for Wolf to pass. When she saw him, she would hide; Wolf just passed by. Adolpha would then take a peek. Wolf ignored her; he went into her tent and slept. Adolpha smiled; she felt happy seeing someone of her race.

As time passed, and there was no word from Lord Michael. The residents just kept at it. Adolpha liked seeing Wolf; she was no longer scared of him. It was beginning to get cold; Fall, the cold season, was coming. The year was 834; Mike and Sam lived like they owned the house; they made messes, and the maids had to clean after them.

Victoria, the head maid, calls them and asks them to head to the mainland for supplies. Mike and Sam got their coats and went to the docks; they had gotten one of Lord Michael's bigger boats. Victoria has given them a list of what to get. They depart for the mainland.

As they headed to the mainland, they saw workers picking from the orchards; the islands belonged to Lord Michael. It took about half an hour to get from the island they were on to the mainland. They reached a town of a very decent size; it was full of people. Most were residents living there and working for Lord Michael.

Mike and Sam dock and walk into town; the townsfolk greet them. Sam greets them back; Mike keeps walking. Mike walks to a fruit stand and starts talking to a woman there. Sam knew Mike was trying to make a pass at her; he went to a water fountain and sat.

Sam had some time and went shopping; he returned to the fountain. Mike, carrying a box, finds him and asks if he has gone to get the supplies; Sam says he has purchased everything on the list. Mike handed him a bag of fruit and told him they were heading back; before they left, they went to a post office. Mike picks up several letters.

They returned to the boat and the island; when they returned, they informed Victoria they had bought the supplies, which would be delivered tomorrow. Victoria gets angry when she sees Mike with a box with some wine. She excuses them; they head to the living room.