𝗠𝗔𝗗𝗠𝗔𝗫

CHAPTER ONE: madmax

CHAPTER ONE: madmax

OCTOBER 1984

Andre stepped off the bus and into Hawkins with his mom, his surroundings a blur of unfamiliarity.

He stood on the sidewalk looking up and down the street, a slight wind playing with his hoodie strings. Andre's annoyance and antipathy were almost palpable.

His whole being radiated a tense frustration, his shoulders hunched like he was trying to make himself as small as possible, eyes narrowed in scorn for the world around him; it seemed that this environment had forced itself upon him without consent or knowledge, and his movements through it were made without any hint of pleasure.

"Andre, there's no need to be so mad. this place isn't that bad." His mom says and all he can do is just cross his arms.

Andre looks around, "this place is dusty as hell and it's cold." Andre sighed heavily and rolled his eyes, annoyed. His gaze was heavy with frustration as it settled on the space in front of him.

He shook his head in disbelief, flexing his jaw muscles as he gritted his teeth together for a moment before blowing out a breath of air through pursed lips and turning away from whatever had been causing him this displeasure.

"Watch your language, and eventually you'll like it here, trust me. you aren't gonna be that mad for so long." His mom says and extends her hand to him but instead he doesn't take it and just walks ahead.

Andre was surprising placid, his temper quickly igniting and just as swiftly disappearing.

The only clues to his anger came through the clenching of his jaw and shoulders, but it never lasted long.

It was like watching a storm come in: loud with explosions of energy, then gently fading away until all that remained was a peaceful silence.

"I mean you really don't have to stay and walk with me. In the meantime you can head to that arcade I was talking about." His mom said once more causing him to perk up.

Andre looked slightly happy when his mom mentioned the arcade. His eyes sparkled with hopefulness, and a hint of a smile curled up on one side of his face.

"Okay, that's cool." he says and continues walking alongside his mom.

LATER
               .    .    .

You sigh as you rummage through your closet, not finding a nick of any penny in there. "Mom! where's my piggy bank?"

"I don't know. search in the kitchen or whatever. I'm busy and I have to go, there's leftovers in the fridge love you bye!" She says and hurried out the front door, leaving you to find your own stuff.