Chapter 7

Namjoon's POV

"Oh, while the invitation is very kind of you, Namjoon, Yoongi is not legally allowed to leave the shelter without an owner. It's too dangerous for him, even if he'd be in good company. May I know why you wanted to see him?".

I bite on my nails as I take in the new bit of information.

I ended up sleeping on it after the conversation with Y/N yesterday, wanting to have a clear mind over the matter of bringing Yoongi into our home.

Not like I really had a choice to begin with, as it's to make sure that their bond wouldn't break and take either of them with it, which I do not want.

My head knows that I can't be the cause of such a tragedy, it simply wouldn't sit right with me and I couldn't live with myself if being stubborn and jealous ended up taking her from me, not after that peculiar confession of mine.

I sure didn't expect to hear that I risked becoming her mate - or one of them, anyway - simply by loving her, although the criteria is not a small one as it needs to be a strong love like not many are capable of, but I can't imagine myself loving her any less than that.

Trying would only be lying to myself.

"I... well there's a matter I wanted to discuss with him. Could I have him on the phone, then?".

"Of course, no problem. Yoongi-ah! Come here, Namjoon is on the phone for you!".

It doesn't take too long for the black cat to grab the phone from Seokjin, and I hear his nervous breath before I hear him speak, the sound of a door closing behind him letting me know that we're allowed a certain privacy, at least.

"Y-yes? Why did you want to talk to me? Is Y/N okay?".

"She is, don't worry. We just... we had a talk yesterday, about how hybrids get their mates. You know the details too, don't you? Since you're mated with her, unless I'm wrong?" I go straight to the point since I don't want to waste time, and his breath hitches immediately.

I can almost see the fear on his face, and it makes my guts sink to my feet. So I was right, then.

"Did you become her mate?" he asks instead of answering me, but the rasp in his voice is unlike anything I've heard from him the last time we met, nothing like the joy that had bled into his laughter as he ran after us.

"Not yet. I intend to love her with all that I am though, and I told her as much, that's why she explained how it works for hybrids, to warn me. She thought I'd change my mind, but I want to love her right until my last breath. Now answer me, Yoongi, please. Are you her mate?".

There's a long silence that follows my question before I hear him sigh, and I clench my fists to resist pacing my office, which would only alert Y/N of my current state.

I don't want her to know about this conversation until I can share with her good news, else it would only give her false hope.

She's had trouble falling asleep enough as it is and I don't want to make things worse. She looked really out of it when she woke up this morning and dragged herself to the kitchen with a quarter of her usual energy.

"I was going to tell her on the morning that you took her away. I... I'd planned everything in my head, down to the smallest detail, but in the end I couldn't even talk to her before she was gone" he finally reveals with a weak tone that tugs at my heartstrings, I really appeared at the worst timing for him.

I run a hand over my face to remove the sweat that's rolling down into my eyes, to hear my assumptions being confirmed like this not a matter of joy for me. I don't know how it's going to work, but I can't get in the way anymore than I already have, can I?