Chapter Forty

"So, are you going to tell him?" Spencer questions as he helps me clean off one of the table.

"Are you?" I fire back, lifting my gaze away from the sticky table to him, waiting patiently for him to answer.

"I mean, he's going to find out that Darnell's going to be living with us full-time eventually. And you not telling him about the guy who use to flirt with you every chance he got is now going to be sleeping across the hall from you is going to look suspicious."

"You're acting like it was my idea to ask him to stay, I had came to terms with him leaving. It was your idea to invite the guy who everybody thought had a crush on me to live across the hall from my room. But I'm suppose to tell him?"

"He's your boyfriend."

I nod my head. "So, let me walk you through what's going to happen, start to finish. I go over there and tell Jordan that Darnell now lives with us, then that's obviously going to start an argument and put us on bad terms. You'll feel guilty and decide to talk to Jordan, assuring him that nothing's going on between us and how it was your idea. That's exactly how it's going to happen, so I rather skip step one through three, and skip to step four. Let me know how it goes."

Spencer, Mom, and Dillon just took what I said at first value when I told them that nothing was going on between Darnell and I. And they completely believed me. And for weeks now, Darnell has been kinda staying with us, he's been back and forth between our house and Corey's house. He said that he's going to officially move in at the end of the month, when rent is no longer going to be paid for. I hadn't even thought about telling Jordan, never once came across my mind — not even when I cancelled plans with Jordan to be with Darnell. Not when I spent all night laughing at whatever came up in conversation with Darnell.

Part of me thought Spencer had told him because for a while Jordan was the one who was cancelling plans, and always too busy; but now right around the time Darnell started bringing his belongings over, he doesn't seem as busy anymore. Now it's like the saying, "what goes around comes back around," because I'm the one who's always busy and canceling plans now. Kinda sorta, feels like Beyoncé when she said, "now I'm the one who's lying and I don't feel bad about it, it's exactly what you get."

You know, minus the cheating that was going on in that relationship.

But I wasn't canceling plans just to hang out with Darnell, that'll definitely wouldn't look right to keep canceling plans with your boyfriend to hang out with another boy. With all the free time I have now since I stopped going to football, I've been getting way more involved in the Solo Muse thing, and we the cotillion dance next week. The dress is already brought and hanging up in my closet, I wasn't going to go all out for some stupid dance.

Just enough to look presentable all the other girls were making this seem like a big deal and went on about how they were going to go all out with their hair and makeup. And I didn't want to be the only one looking half-ass, so I picked up a couple extra shifts to get somebody to install a wig perfectly so that it might actually look like Arrogant Tae did my hair, and Patience had agreed to do my makeup since I know next to nothing about makeup; but some simple lipgloss.

While still trying to learn the dance.

"Can I steal you for a moment?" Jordan questions as I started to walk past his table, he puts his hand out to stop me. "Do I have to order something for you to come over here to talk to me?"

"I'm working." I gesture to the apron. "And I have tables to clean and people to serve, I can't just come over here because you feel lonely and want to talk to me."