Chapter 5

For the rest of the week, Jordan made it his mission to stay in my line of sight. Tuesday, he reminded me that he had no ties to Hadley, felt like she didn't even go to this school anymore the way I hadn't been seeing her. Wednesday, he wanted to reminisce about the shower incident. And today he reminded me that he wasn't trying to my friend — just my friend.

Throughout the week, Spencer and I have been traveling back and forth to Beverly to Crenshaw. Making an excuse on why we came home, Spencer left his favorite jacket, I left my hair straightener, or we came to help Dillon do his homework. Either way, by time we get back to Beverly, it's nearly 2 am, then having to wake up early for morning practice. It's kind of draining.

But we want to be home.

And after this Booster party that Billy has been talking about nonstop, we can enjoy our weekend peacefully. I didn't know and I don't know what this Booster party is even about, I just know that it has something to do with football and some of the guys on the team will be there. When I first heard about the party, I knew this was am certain attire but choose to think otherwise because it's not like I had much to choose from. But I definitely knew that it was a certain attire when I saw how The Bakers were dressed when they came downstairs.

Billy and Jordan dressed in perfectly tailored suits, while Laura and Olivia are dressed in these luxurious dresses. "What's going on?" Billy questions when he looks at Spencer and I are dressed for this party. "It's time to leave. Go get dressed."

Spencer and I look at each other then back at Billy. "We are dressed," we say as if we rehearsed it.

Laura smiles. "And the both of you look great. Handsome. Beautiful. But it's just these things are so stupid." She chuckles as rolls her eyes. "And pretentious. So, Spencer all you have to do is just throw on a blazer to snazz that outfit up. And Samantha, you have on a really cute top, so all you have to do is put on a shirt, and maybe a pair of heels."

"Yeah," Spencer clears his throat. "We don't have any of those things here."

"That's no problem. We'll just swing by your house on the way, and you can grab them real quick, and we'll leave from Crenshaw." Laura claps her hands. "Boom! The problem is solved."

Thinking that the problem is solved, Billy starts to open the door but stops when I said, "Yeah, the thing is. We don't have any of those things over there either."

We never needed any of those things, we never had to go to events where we needed those things. Dressed up means something different in Crenshaw, nothing like this, you can dress causal every event happening in Crenshaw and still be best dressed in the room. We don't belong here and we prove that every day that we're here.

"You know what." Laura starts as she places her hand on her hip, shaking her head. "Wear what you want. To hell with them boosters, isn't that right?" They simultaneously agree. "Okay, let's get going."

We don't belong here and we've been proving that everyday that we're been here, but I wasn't about to set myself up by going to black tie event dressed in ripped jeans. "Actually," I start. "I'll stay behind, I'm sure there'll be way more booster parties and by then I'll have everything I need."

"Yeah," Spencer agrees. "We can just kick it here and go over our homework."

"Actually, you guys can go." Olivia moves to stand beside me, wrapping her arm around mine. "I'll take care of Samantha and we'll meet you there."

"And I'll take care of Spencer." Jordan says as he stands beside Spencer. "Don't worry, Liv and I got this."

I may not know a lot of things, but The Bakers is a family that I can't quite figure out. Nothing about them makes sense, nobody is this nice to people that they don't even know. Billy coming all the way out to Crenshaw to recruit Spencer and I, when there were a plethora of other players who he could have also recruited. Moving us into their home when the board found out that Spencer and I didn't even live on this side of town, we moved us in with them less than a month of knowing them.