Chapter 16

"You can wait for me downstairs." Olivia tells me. "I need five more minutes."

Heading downstairs I find Jordan sitting on the couch watching football films, I lean against the couch and cross my arms. "Who you watching?"

"Just going through some of Logan films." Jordan tells me. "Trying to get to know his moves before the game."

Since Olivia and I one year sobriety anniversary, Jordan and I have been back on speaking terms. It still gets awkward time from time, but we're getting better at holding conversation these days, especially since we know which topics bring awkwardness. Like when he told me that he ended things with Ripley, the girl he went to Homecoming with, because the two of them had smoked on the beach, and it was the day before the game.

Once Beverly won, she allegedly told her coach that she knew he had drugs in his systems and anybody who played had to do a drug test. Then he also informed me that he's not hooking up with some girl that starts with the letter S, don't know why he thought I needed to know but I know. And once the awkwardness came between us, he decided that we hadn't reach that level of friendship to talk about our love lives with each other yet. If ever.

"I know you don't like sitting on the bench, but you won't be there for much longer." Jordan tells me. "You're playing with us for Championship, we can't play without you."

"Really?"

He nods his head but quickly add, "but don't tell anybody else about that. Nobody supposed to know besides me and my dad."

I am more than ready to be back on that field with my teammates, sitting out for practices did help me since Shawn's shooting. "Yes, I feel like the field has been calling out to me." I sigh happily. "And honestly, I can't wait for the Championship to come up."

"Sam—"

"Uh," Olivia's voice interrupts Jordan, turning around, I see her and Spencer standing near the staircase. "What's happening here?"

"Yeah, why are the two of you being so friendly after weeks of avoiding each other." Spencer eyes us suspiciously. "Are you dating now? I thought that ship had sailed."

"It has," I clarify for him. "He's involved with a girl named Sasha."

"Simone," Jordan interjects, standing up and circling the couch until he's beside me. "And she's still figuring things out with Cornball, or rather, Chester."

"Cameron," I correct him, even though I haven't talked to Cameron since he returned my necklace. "We're attempting something known as friendship."

"Yeah, don't try to make things awkward between us." Jordan says. "You know what, it's starting to feel a bit hostile in here, wouldn't you agree?" I nod. "Come on, you can ride to school with me today, friend."

"Right behind you, friend."