Ch. 35 ~ A Ranger Becomes King

As I sat looking out of the window of my room in the House of Healing, the grandeur of Minas Tirith was spread before me and the moon was high in the sky. There were celebrations below of the victory over Sauron and his One Ring. The black clouds of Mordor receded into nothingness. I looked down at the parchment lying on the table before me as I held the quill pen in hand. I had gone over everything I had written a few times and was satisfied that everything was properly put and would not be over looked especially by the reader of whom I intended to have this letter delivered to. I knew that once I signed my name, I would set the wheels in motion and there was no turning back.

Just as I finished signing my full name, I heard a knock at my door that startled me, I turned quickly in my chair with my hand on my chest as I noticed Faramir standing there with a small smile on his face as he bowed to me.

"Forgive me Princess, I did not mean to startle you." I nodded and smiled back as I stood up from my seat and rolled up the parchment which I tied neatly yet securely with a strong string.

"It is alright Faramir, please come in. I am done with my letter and it must leave at once if it has any hope of getting to where it is meant to go."

He nodded and signaled to one of his soldiers who came up to him clicked his heels to Faramir and bowed to me though stiffly as his armor prevented him from doing it more fluidly. I handed the letter to the soldier and gave him explicit instructions that no matter what, he himself had to hand the letter to the king and to use my name as often as necessary to get it accomplished. I emphasized that a lot was riding on the outcome that this letter and what its contents contained. The soldier listened carefully, bowed again, took the letter, and moments later we heard him on his steed galloping down toward the main gate as he flew towards the moon in the sky as fast as his horse could carry him. Sensing my growing unease, Faramir quickly tried to reassure me:

"Do not fret, Princess, he is one of my best and fastest men and couriers. If anyone can get that letter to Mirkwood in record time, it is him." I smiled and then cocked my head at him.

"Thank you for that. I would however prefer if you called me Hedraliel instead of Princess. We are not that far apart in lineage only in species and mortality. Besides, I would like to think of you as a friend. And there is no need for formalities amongst friends." He looked a little shocked as he stepped a little more into the room.

"That is most kind of you, Prin-I mean Hedraliel." He looked down as I laughed a little.

"That is better. So how is Eowyn doing? I have seen you together a lot lately and I have to say that I am quite pleased with that." I looked at him with a kind smile as he eyes shone brightly; it was very obvious that he had fallen in love with her. I very much hoped she had come to the same conclusion.

"She is all healed and agreed to marry me. We will live here until Ithilian is rebuilt and then we shall cross the river to live a peaceful life where she will grow a garden. That is my greatest wish and she will be my White Lady for life." He spoke softly as my smile deepened.

"That is such wonderful news! I am so happy for you both. You so deserve to be happy after what you have been through. After everything Middle Earth has been through." He nodded then.

He heard his name being called than and I said I must change for the ceremony that would happen with the first light. I was still wearing the white dress I had woken up in post battle and my trip to the in between. But this was Aragorn's coronation and I had to be as regal as possible. Thankfully, someone had thought to put different kinds of gowns into the armoire that stood in the corner of my room. I opened it and found exactly what I was looking along with something glistening in the corner.