My heart cringes, and I make an effort to try and keep my face from doing the same.

One minute I'm alone and the next another mateless female pounces.

I turn around to find a girl with hair so green it could be grass sprouting from her head, and eyes that are no different from the emeralds that live in the earth. She's holding a try, and with a bolt of relief, I notice that it's champagne.

"A little liquid courage." She winks. "I know these things can drag, but I find liquor usually helps."

I take a glass, emptying it within a second before my eyes are back on her.

"Are you here to swindle your way into my carriage?" I ask.

She smirks. "I have no desire to ride in your carriage." She tilts forward to murmur, "I know you have far better things for me to ride."

My eyebrows rise. "And how would you know that?"

She shrugs, eyes sparkling in mischief.

"Lucky guess," She says

I realize eyes are starting to gather, so I clear my throat, intending to tell her of my lack of interest, when a horn blares.

"Ladies and gentlemen! May I present the Sun king, our dear Alexander James!"

Here we go, my wolf grumbles.

Alexander nods and waves as he makes his way across the room, a smile so big it looks like it hurts on his face.

His jacket is a bright yellow, matching his thick hair and crinkled eyes. Because of course the king is an anomaly. And somehow having hair the colour of overripe lemons makes him special.

"Aziel!" Alexander exclaims as he reaches me. "I'm so glad you could make it! I have only heard stories of you, but I'm hoping we can get well acquainted this evening!"

And I'm hoping this night ends in the next five seconds, but we don't all get what we want, my wolf says.

My lips tilt, and I use the action in my favour as I shake Alexander's hand.

"It's great to finally put a face with the stories," I say.

His smile makes my face mourn the stoicism it usually holds, but I keep my lips slightly tipped, hoping it doesn't look like a grimace.

"Have you found the lucky girl yet?" He asks, excitement lighting every feature.

Right. The whole reason I'm here.

because I would much rather spend my days with an annoyingly enthusiastic neon pink haired girl then in solitude with myself.

I cross my arms, hoping the gesture looks more casual than it feels.

"I'm afraid that meeting has not happened yet."

His smirk is obnoxiously gleeful as he says, "Well, the night is still very young, and not everyone has arrived." He pats my back, and I resist the urge to flinch. "I have no doubt you will find a partner tonight, Aziel."

Did he actually just say that this isn't everyone? My wolf whines.

Yes. Yes he did.

Restlessness stirs inside me, my legs suddenly deciding that standing here isn't a good idea.

"Excuse me, Alexander," I say.

Then I'm practically sprinting away. Not that there's anywhere to go except further into the blinding lighting and raging music.

Am I the only one that smells vanilla?

I ignore my wolf, my steps quickening even more if that's possible.

Escape isn't coming easy, but I just-

A body slams into mine, followed by the sound of a dish clattering to the floor. Reflexively, my hands reach out, grasping a waist that fits surprisingly perfect in my arms.

"Oh my goodness!" A female voice says. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going and I-"

A gasp rips from her lips, and I finally look into startled blue eyes.

It's like gazing at the ocean, framed by sand the colour of creamy silk.

My thoughts race and screeech over each other until one word becomes crystal clear.

MATE!!

Fear flickers through her eyes as she slowly backs away, and my heart clenches for some odd reason.

"You clumsy girl!!" Someone yells.

I look up to see an orange cloud of rage storming towards us.

"I am incredibly sorry, your majesty! I can assure you that it won't happen again!" Ms. Orange says as she grabs the girl's wrist.

Her grip looks bruising, but I'm too stunned to do anything but stare as they walk away.

"You will spend your night in The Post for that little stunt," I hear her say as she drags the girl behind her.

"No," the girl whimpers. "Please! I promise it was only an accident! I'll be more careful!"

My chest lurches. Everything hurts and I have no idea why.

Mate is crying, my wolf whines.

My head comes back with a shock, and then suddenly my feet are moving.

I don't know what The Post is, but I can make sure this girl stays out of it tonight.

A/N
Thank you so much for reading!
I would love it if you commented and voted!💜