when it rains, it pours

(A/N: I don't own anything from this franchise. Respective ownership belongs to Muneyuki Kaneshiro and Yusuke Nomura for this wonderful manga. Some things to consider below before proceeding to read:

1. It's an AU – canon divergence meaning to say that this takes place a few years after Blue Lock and the characters are in their early to late twenties.

2. Kaiser joined Real Madrid while Ness stayed in BM.

3. Kaiser and Ness were in a secret relationship for two years before they parted ways.)

The harsh beating of the rain outside made a rattling sound against the roof on one rainy night in October.

Nevertheless, the noises drowned everything else in his senses as he read the news on his feed that's been trending online for several days now.

Michael Kaiser is now engaged! Who is this lucky lady that managed to capture the elusive heart of the heartthrob striker?

Ness stared unseeingly at the headline that mocked him to his core.

His hands trembled when his eyes landed on the picture perfect of the smiling couple in front of the paparazzi's camera.

Kaiser's pearly smile flashed against the opulent lenses of their devices as one of his hands were interlocked with the woman's dainty ones. The diamond ring on her finger sparkled tauntingly in his line of vision.

The woman was downright gorgeous. There wasn't an ounce negative remark that Ness can attribute to her physical appearance. She was statuesque, fair, and possessed long, wavy burgundy locks which gleamed majestically under the chandelier lights and complimented her forest green dress.

Ness swallowed thickly before he slowly placed down the phone on the table and stood up.

Without uttering a word, he headed inside the room and closed the door behind him.

His knees buckled as he jumped on the bed unceremoniously, his face buried under the fort of pillows.

That night no other noises could be heard inside his room except for the muffled sobs and agonizing cries of despair.

It seemed that the sky had sympathized with his own misery and rain continued to pour harder throughout the night.

"This is the 5th time that Ness was out this week." Noa stated in a monotone voice as he scrolled something on his iPad.

It's a Friday morning this week and the last day of their practice before they hit the weekend to get some needed relaxation and rest for two days.

Silent murmurs and hushed whispers erupted afterwards at Noa's words about Ness' unexpected absence this week.

Not that Isagi didn't care but a part of him was slightly annoyed since it affected their team's formation and if this keeps up, they needed to have an alternative position and formation for their upcoming match which will happen in three weeks' time now.

Noa held up his hand to silence the crowd and the players kept quiet at his gesture.

"Alexis had only filed for two days leave of absence in lieu of sickness but after that, he's not contactable anymore. I want someone to check up on him before I give my final verdict on the matter of his unexpected absences. Grim? Gesner? Have you gotten a hold on him?" Noa asked calmly as he stared impassively at the players.

Grim raised his hands in defeat. "No such luck. I tried checking on his place of residence, but it seemed that there's no one in there."

Gesner nodded in agreement. "Same here. Tried reaching out to him several times but calls or messages went into the voice mailbox."