6

Huh?

"Father?" You looked back and forth from the Duke who's smiling pleasantly and your father who's nervously sweating and unable to meet your eyes. He must have known that you're feeling betrayed right now. Your jaw dropped in obvious bewilderment.

You know that it's normal for nobles to be engaged in such a young age without their permission but they're mostly given a notice right? Like a few days before they formally meet the person they're going to be with in their whole life?

But this? You weren't ready nor notified ago, you remember your father's promise of never entering you in an arranged marriage just a year ago but he clearly broke that promise didn't he?

But that's not just it, if you're now going to be the fiancée of the heir of the Densmore Dukedom then that meant you're the fiancée that died in such a young age? No no, that's impossible.

You can't accept that.

Your hope of living was shattered within pieces. Not only were you sickly, betrayed, now you're given a deadline?

You're 11 at the moment and according to the book, you're about to die when you turn 23.

12 years.

"Hic.." Unable to contain your overwhelming feelings in such a small body of an sickly 11 year old kid who's in the middle, you teared up.

'Damn it.' You thought, unable to stop your tears. You tried to wipe it off but it just kept falling. Your father is going to be scolded real bad by your mother the time she comes home but you don't care, you hope he gets scolded for a whole month for betraying you like this.

You can hear your father panic and the Duke's laugh. Damn it all, you hate the Duke now too, how can he laugh so nonchalantly at your pain? The only person who you can't get angry at the moment is Castiel, who stood there.

You hope he doesn't misunderstand and take offense, it's just that you're really angry and frustrated right now. Damn it all, your tears continued to fall and you covered your face. Ugh stupid headache, stupid life, stupid everything!

With no choice but to cope with your overwhelming feelings and not wanting to be around these stupid adults, you ran away. Even if your body cannot take it, you ran, even if you heard Calippa and Aaron's worried voices, you did not stop and ran. Now you're acting like a real child but fuck everyone really.

Even if your lungs heaved and your body ached, you ran away from them, just anywhere your legs would take you really. You felt stupid for such a move but you have to understand, you're a child physically and these hormones or whatever they are, sure is affecting you a lot, you even struggled not to act and think like a child at times.

But now, you can't contain it anymore.

-

"Y/n!" Your father, Albert called out worriedly when you suddenly ran away. He was about to go after you when a hand took hold of his shoulder and stopped him. He was about wring it off when he realized it's just Duke Calib.

"Albert, let her be. She'll come around soon. She's just shocked." Calib said with a comforting smile but Albert did not listen and took off the Duke's hand off. Albert is guilty, how could he make his precious daughter cry?

He felt so guilty Albert felt his tears sting his eyes. It's the Duke's fault, he was the one to first suggest such a thing and told him that he would cure your sickness but it's his fault to begin with. If he didn't get swayed, you would've not cried and ran away.

"But your grace, my daughter is sickly. She cannot run suddenly like that. What if she collapses?" Damn it he cannot retract his agreement to the engagement, he already signed the papers off. He thought that this is the best course but seeing your tears? This has to be the worse.

"You do not have to worry about that Albert. We can just send my son Castiel. It's the perfect opportunity for them to get to know each other." Calib eyed his son Castiel who's staring at the direction he took off, "Don't you think so too son?"

"Uh, yes father." Castiel said, still unable to take turn away. His ears is Red and Calib smiled, ah he isn't wrong after all.

"Now make haste, don't let your fiancée run away now. You might not be able to find her at this point." He urged his son to move and he never saw his son answer this fast before.

"T-then I'll go." Castiel hastily bowed to his father and of course to your father too, he cannot tarnish his image as his son-in-law. There he went, leaving the two adults.

"Now don't worry Albert. My son is more than capable to take care of your daughter. You can trust me." The Duke's eyes gestured to Calippe and Aaron, who are both to ready to run towards you but can't.

"Oh and one thing, tell them to back down and let my son handle the rest."

"Of course your grace.." That's right, the Duke never betrayed him before and he never will.

Perhaps you might be just sad for now but Castiel is a good child, you'll be happy soon. Just like the Duchess.

-

Castiel was quick to pinpoint where you were and he is more than relieved, his father told him that you're sickly and that over exerting your body is not good for you.

Castiel of course, is still a child who's awkward around others especially when it comes to his future wife. What is he supposed to do? He doesn't know.

But when he heard your sobs, he is quick to pull out his handkerchief that's given by him by his mother. His mother always told him to not let his future wife cry and make her happy, he promised. So of course, he'll try even though his mother didn't teach him how to comfort someone.

So he just did what he thinks should do. He approached you slowly not to scare you away. He let his presence know with a small hello before approaching of course.

His heart broke when he saw you trying to muffle your sobs as you sat somewhere not suitable to sit in, just a place where no one would be able to hear you he supposed but really, thankfully he heard you.

He doesn't feel offended that you cried to the fact you're now engaged to him, he's confident on his looks, it's probably because you were against arranged marriage and basing by your reaction, you did not know. You're shocked, he knows and he understands.

You probably believe in love, as much he does. But love can come later than marriage right? It happens sometimes? That's what his father told him after all.

He knew you don't mind his presence when you didn't move. He awkwardly sat down next to you and handed his handkerchief.

"Uhm, here.." Sniffling, you grabbed his handkerchief with a small thank you, in the process your hands touched for a little while. Castiel was ashamed to feel his heart beating faster, he didn't know it was that fast to get his heart beating in a foreign way.

This has to be the feeling his father told him right?

It's silent for a while as you wipe your tears with his handkerchief and try to calm yourself down.

"I won't assume but.." Castiel was at lost so he just told what he wanted to say, "But I'll do my best to be a good partner so please don't worry. Just focus on getting better."

"After all, Mr. Leibum told me that crying is not good for people who are sickly.." He did not like to sit on dirt but you're sitting on one so he'll just go with it too. You seem to enjoy sitting there so he'll join you.

"Thank you.." You smiled, though your tears continued to fall despite you trying not to cry. But why can't you stop crying? It's because of your disappointment with your father but at least you know he did take his time to find a good partner for you.

Castiel found himself smiling.

"So please don't cry.." Castiel is only 11 but he's now formally engaged by first meeting. Admittedly, he confessed that wasn't ideal at all and he knew you thought the same.

After all, he followed you when you left for the garden after you ran. He did not want to be left alone in a foreign place, if he's going to be engaged then he'd at least try his best to make it work.