1

Editor.

Someone who pretty much edits manuscripts and suggests changes for the betterment of a piece, may it be literature, music, video, technicalities and even articles. It's no easy job, it requires lots and lots of reading depending on what kind of piece you're working on, lots of expertise and patience with the people you'd be working on.

And you - an editor - someone who works for a publishing house for books and such, does not really have the last mentioned virtue. It might be bad on your part but people find this personality of yours quite useful, especially by your boss who's far too kind for her sake. Well not really that kind to employees but she really can't displease authors who are the bloodline of the publishing house.

So, she decided to make use of her position to push the trouble to you. And you? A fairly new editor, cannot go against her orders especially when you're getting paid more the more authors you take in. At first, you're thankful because you now have another author to assist but when you realize who you're going to edit for?

You wish you should've just said no even it means getting your boss' ire.

Just what kind of author is this that you'd risk going against your boss? Well, they're exactly the type of person to trigger your blunt personality and get rid of your patience in one fell sweep. This new author assigned to you? They're the troublemaker of the workplace, the author no editor wants to work with.

That's right, Woundstotheheart. (For the sake of my creativity, let's roll with it and pretend it's not my username.)

Resident stubborn crappy ass author. She never really attend face to face meetings to discuss the books in person so you'd have to email her just to contact her, but that's not the worst part yet. She'd take days or sometimes weeks to even read the emails and would not comment on it, she'd just reply with a short message and that's it.

That'll leave the editor persistently email her just to get through.

She's stubborn to a fault, she'd offer no acceptance to her editor's suggestions and push through with her ideas. Yet again, that's not that worst part. Her book ideas were... In a few short words, were repetitive. It'd be good if her genre were that of tragedy and thriller but she'd push it towards dark romance.

You see, no matter how many books you've read that were written by her, you'd always be met with the same ending.

There's always love triangles, random killing spree, violence and well, in the end all the characters with names all end up dying. Yes, even if it's a dog, as long as it has a name, it'll die in a few chapters or so.

You don't know if woundstotheheart has a thing for angst or she just really likes killing off her characters but, all her published books would end up having one star rates and complaints on how all her books were too similar. And well, how all her characters all die.

There are some who are fans of her because of how graphic she writes sometimes but other than that? She gets bashed most of the time and when that happens? The editor that handled that book? Gets dragged with her.

You don't know why she hasn't been kicked out by your boss but eh, you suppose her infamous popularity still has its kick. Some people loves to buy books just to spite it and share it on social media for content. And now? Your boss' too benevolent behaviour has become your greatest challenge when she placed such a stubborn author under your care.

You can feel it, your name getting dragged in the mud next.

And you can't even do anything about it now that you have agreed to your boss without knowing who'll be assigned to you. You've been fooled, your boss' angelic countenance got you fooled so bad, you should've known. Remember when you told that you'll be willing to cross your boss? Well that's a lie, this job is your only hope in living comfortably. Everything in this company is good, paycheck, benefits, authors, everything. But now you learnt that not all goods will stay good and have no moles somewhere.