review #63.S3: Filthy Storm

Filthy Storm

Author: speedocks
Reviewer: CoffeeAndSilverInk

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
SYNOPSIS

She's a ray of sunshine while he's a quiet, intense storm in the night, what happens when their worlds collide?
• • •
Frankie Vuitton had always taken on the harshness of life with a blinding smile and optimism that anyone would envy. However, when she finally reached its bottom pit, she knew she had to act in accordance with her reality.
What she didn't expect, though, was her hasty actions leading her directly into the eye of the storm.

Apollo Storm, the brooding star quarterback of the New York Hunters, was looking for a new assistant. His arrogant, demanding attitude made it seem like his past assistants only walked through revolving doors. With a new, stricter set of qualifications, his management team had high hopes with their latest chosen employee.
The thing was, who they had chosen was the last person he wanted to see.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Note: The following review is written by someone with no real writing credentials (uni degrees and anything of sorts), only the experience of many years within the wattpadian writing world and having written over 50 reviews in the past 3 years. Please note that reviews are subjective and not law, that they're opinions and should be taken with a pinch of salt. If the following review in any way offends you, please note that that is not the goal and it is one person's view of your story. You are entitled to agree or disagree with the raised points. If you are hurt and need to leave hate comments to feel validated, please don't. The reviewer doesn't care.

Title and Cover:
I was skeptical about the book when I read the title, but it suits the story. The play between Apollo's surname and his personality is interesting, and making it part of the title enhances the overall goal of this association. It's short and catchy and works well.

The cover looks like one you'd find in a bookstore. It's eye-catching, works with the story and it's just really pretty.

Blurb:
I'm not the biggest fan of the first sentence, but I understand its role and it is impactful. It's quite long and the last part is a sentence of its own, so I would put a full stop after night and split the two.

The blurb is well written. The characters are well introduced and so is the main conflict. I think hinting why Apollo doesn't want to see Frankie would further develop the main conflict, but it's still good as it is.

Plot/Flow:
The opening chapter is great. It introduces Apollo and his current life situation well.

The plot surprised me a few times. From the moment Frankie stole from Apollo, I knew I had no idea where the story was going, but I was pleasantly surprised by that scene.

The closed proximity trope is nothing new, but this version of it is quite interesting. The characters make it a fun read, particularly Frankie. Their backgrounds are shown in a natural way. I found the interactions between Frankie and Apollo very entertaining and their dynamic was just top notch.

The story has a quick pace and develops nice and easy. Each chapter is a quick read that ends in a way that forces readers to swipe left.

Descriptions:
There are plenty of descriptions. They're beautifully written and easily paint an image in reader's minds. They're not info dumpy and they're well placed.

I particularly enjoy action descriptions such as in the first chapter with Apollo's practice and later Frankie and Apollo's intimacy. The use of descriptive adjectives gives the scene a deeper feel.

Characterization:
All characters have distinctive personalities easy to pick onto through dialogue and actions alone. Their characterization is accomplished really well.

Frankie is the talkative, funny and good natured female main character who charms people easily. At first she had me worried that she would turn out a scaredy cat when Apollo's meaner nature came forward, but she always stands her ground. Even if she falters at first, she'll face him, or whoever, with her chin up. That makes her a very likable character.

Apollo is arrogant and rude towards her, which made me not like him a lot at first, but he's a complex character with layers. It goes without saying, but the author did a great job with the metaphor in his name. He goes from Apollo to Storm swiftly and in a way that makes him interesting to read about. He's unpredictable, and that makes him rather enticing.

Writing:
The story is very well written. I spot no misspellings or grammatical errors, and the sentences are well crafted. Overall, it's pleasant to read and easy to get immersed into.

Overall enjoyment:
I liked it a lot. I didn't expect the stealing part and it made the story a lot more interesting than I originally thought it would be. It was a great read and I might keep reading once there are more chapters.

Good luck with your future projects and thank you for choosing me as your reviewer.