10

At the pub, none of the two touched any alcohol or said a word. They just quietly ate their food.

Ruth would usually glance at them, not knowing what to do.
"What's up with them two? They're not even talking to us." Ruben asked his sister.
"I'm sure you know what happened the day we arrived here."
She sighed. "There's nothing we can do. Really."

After dinner, they all decided to go back to the beach. The adults did the best they could to leave the two alone, which pissed Nina off a little.
Richard however didn't mind it, although he didn't know what to do anymore.

They sat down on the sand and kept quiet for a while until she finally spoke.
"I'm sorry for acting like it was nothing the other day. I had so much fun with you that night but..."

"But you can't do that to your friend." Richard finished the sentence for her. "I know."
After a few minutes he spoke again.
"I just want to know something. Is Nancy the only reason why you're rejecting me?"

Nina stared at the sea, not knowing exactly what to say. If Nancy was the only reason, that would've meant she had some feelings for him whatsoever and it would've made her a bad friend. Then she thought about Ruth's words. Things like this just happen.
"Yes. Yes she is."

He sighed.
"Why though? You both like me but I like you. Just tell her and let's get this over with. I seriously can't stand this situation anymore."

"What?! You can't stand it? You've never even looked at me until three days ago and now you can't stand this situation in which I can't betray my best friend who's in love with you for over a year?!" She stood up and slightly raised her voice, facing him.

He stood up as well, annoyed by her tone and clenched his jaw.
"Yes. You heard me. I can't stand this because I like you and I'm too selfish to care about Nancy's feelings." He said firmly, getting closer and closer to her.
"I just. Want. You."

Nina was speechless but she couldn't deny how she was falling for him and his words.
As their noses were touching, he whispered.
"You have no idea what I would've done to those jerks last night."

The girl closed her eyes and after a short while, it happened. He kissed her.
It was gentle but full of words he simply couldn't say out loud.

At that point, she was already doomed as she gave in the kiss, putting her arms around his neck, feeling his hands caressing her hips.

"Probably should've done this at the wedding." He quietly said, resting his forehead against hers, eyes still closed.
She laughed a little. "Probably not."

In the end, he did make her forget about her best friend.
"This is so wrong Richard..." Maybe she didn't completely.

"We're not doing anything scandalous, Neens. I think Nancy will understand, if she's really your friend."

"I'm being the one who's not a real friend, that's the problem." She got away from him and sat back down on the sand.

"She can't be mad at you for something you can't control." Richard looked at her confused.

"But maybe I shouldn't even look at you like that. And let's not forget that lie I told her about not sleeping with you." She scoffed, frustrated.
"I'm terrible."

In the meantime, the adults were coming back to them as they noticed the two were talking to each other again.
"You're not terrible. Just talk to her Neens, please. But while we're still here for the vacation, I want you to stop thinking about it."
That's the last thing he told her before the others suggested to go back home.

And that week went by like that.
The two would always meet each other in the middle of the night at the beach and kiss and talk for hours.
Nina still couldn't stop thinking about Nancy. She even tried to call her with a payphone but when she heard the younger girl's voice answering, she ended the call because of the guilt she soon felt stronger than ever.

The vacation came to an end as she was picking up all of her stuff to put it back in her luggage. After she made sure she wasn't leaving anything there, she sat on her bed, obsessive thoughts prevailing over her.
In the car she decided to sleep not to think about what to tell Nancy and how to explain herself.