Chapter four:

"Out of the frying pan." Mutters Thorin.
"And into the fire. Run. RUN!" Shouts Gandalf.
The company runs as fast as they can, trying to evade the wargs and orcs as they howl behind them.
I try to stay close to Bilbo, pausing when a warg leaps over a rock, landing in front of Bilbo. I growl ready to intervene but as the warg charges, Bilbo takes out his sword and holding it out in front of him, killing the warg. I stand there shocked at the meek hobbits actions but the howling getting closer brings me back to reality as i nudge Bilbo with my nose, urging him to keep running. I hear Gandalf order the company to climb into the trees closest to the cliff. Bilbo tries to take his sword and run but it's stuck. I look frantically between the incoming enemy, the company and back to Bilbo. I move around anxiously, my heart thumping against my chest. Bilbo finally retrieves his blade scurrying into a tree followed by me in my human form just as the wargs surround us down below.
    I see Gandalf whisper to a butterfly which flies away. The company watches anxiously as the pale orc, Azog on a white warg speaks to the orcs.
"Do you smell it? The scent of fear? I remember your father reeked of it...Thorin son of Thrain."
"It cannot be." Thorin says to himself, shocked to see the enemy he thought has been gone for years. Azog points his weapon at Thorin.
"That one is mine...kill the others!" He orders as the large wargs charge at the trees, jumping, scratching, biting at the trunks and ripping off low hanging branches, trying to get to their prey.
The weight of the wargs jumping slowly uproots the trees causing the company to jump from one tree to the next until we are all on one tree on the very ledge of the cliff. Gandalf thinks quickly, grabbing a pinecone, setting it on fire with his staff and chucking it towards the wargs who jump away from the flames, not liking it one bit. I follow Gandalfs lead, taking pinecones, lighting them on fire and passing them to the dwarves to throw at the ground in front of the wargs, creating a barrier between us and them as they fall back.
Some of the dwarves cheer as they watch some of the wargs flee but it's short lived as the tree we're in, shakes under us. We cling to the branches as the tree falls so it's hanging horizontally over the cliff, its roots barely hanging onto the rock. Ori fumbles, slipping off his branch but manages to grab onto Oin's foot as the tree continues to shake. The added weight causes Oin to slip, Gandalf holds out his staff for him to grab which he does. My attention is caught when i notice Thorin looking at something. A pit forms in my stomach when i realize it's Azog that holds Thorin's gaze.
"Oh, don't do it, don't do it." I whisper to myself. Praying that he doesn't do what i think he's going to do. I lose all hope of that when Thorin stands, walking down the trunk to solid ground before charging at his foe. I wince as i watch Azog's warg knock Thorin down then get clubbed in the face when Azog charges again. I gasp as the white warg clamps his jaws down on Thorin's side. My mind faintly registers the sound of the dwarves hanging behind me, yelling and shouting, unable to help their leader and friend. Trying to steady my breath i close my eyes and focus for a moment. They snap open again when i hear Azog order one of his followers to bring him Thorins head. We watch as the orc raises his sword above Thorin, prepared to follow orders when out of nowhere, Bilbo crashes into the orc, knocking it away from Thorin, stabbing it.
The hobbit stumbles to his feet, standing between Thorin and the mighty orc, swinging his small sword around wildly, having no proper training with one as Azog gives another order.
"Kill him." He says.
Three orcs on wargs slowly get closer to Bilbo as he desperately swings his sword. Before the wargs can get to close, the rest of the company along with myself charges with battle cries at them, taking them by surprise, the hobbit stands their in shock for a moment before joining the fight with shouts of his own.
Bilbo comes face to face with the pale orc and his warg. When a roar is heard in the distance, I quickly move to stand beside Bilbo, who had fallen backwards, trying to back away from the large enemy. I stand there with a smirk on my face as another roar sounds, closer this time. Out of the corner of my eyes i can see that both sides have stopped fighting at the sound of the roars that rattle the ground. I don't even flinch when Tessarion lands behind me, his wing shielding Thorin while his other only partially shields Bilbo. Giant eagles arrive moments later. One by one swooping down and grabbing members of the company, dropping them onto the backs of others. I look back at Azog with a smug look.
"Dracarys" i tell Tessarion in Valyrian.
His blue flames turn Azogs followers to ash as the dwarves look on in fear and amazement. Once the company are all on the backs of eagles. I turn to Bilbo, grabbing his arm gently guiding him to Tessarion's side, he bends his wing to make it easier to climb up. Bilbo hesitates but says nothing, still in shock at the sight of a large beast as i help him climb onto the dragon's back before following myself.
I sit behind Bilbo so i can make sure he doesn't fall before instructing him to hang onto the spikes which he clutches for dear life. I tell Tessarion to grab Thorin then give him the order.
"Sōvēs!" (Fly) I say as Bilbo shouts in fear as Tessarion's huge body moves towards the cliff before diving off. A scream comes from the hobbit as i watch him cling to Tessarion's spikes but stops and relaxes as Tessarion levels out, gracefully and smoothly gliding through the air, sitting up once he's comfortable doing so. I look around at the dwarves as they stare at Tessarion, unsure of his presence. I move him above the eagle carrying Fili and help lower Bilbo to sit behind him as i take Tessarion higher into the sky. The dwarves watching my every move. I sit with my arms out to my sides as i tilt my head back as we fly straight through his cobalt blue flames while flying low enough to keep Thorin and the lower half of Tessarion away from the heat, both of us unharmed by the fire.
I lower back down to fly beside the eagles, the dwarves mouths are hanging open, shocked to see me completely unharmed.
———————————————————————————————————
    As we approach a large rock, the eagles take turns landing the dwarves on it as i circle around to wait for my turn.
Tessarion gently puts the unconcious Thorin on one side of the rock before moving to land himself on the other so he's not in the way.
Gandalf kneels next to him and mutters a healing spell. Thorin's eyes flutter open as he looks to Gandalf.
"The halfling?"
"It's alright. Bilbo is here. He's quite safe." Gandalf says calmly as i dismount to stand beside the hobbit.
Thorin gets to his feet, shrugging off the hands of Fili and Dwalin when they attempt to help him up.
"You." He says to Bilbo.
"What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did i not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild?
That you had no place amongst us?" He questions Bilbo walking closer to him as he speaks. I look at Thorin, not sure what he's getting at.
"I have never been so wrong in all my life." He says bringing Bilbo into a hug. All the dwarves standing behind him cheer and laugh at the sight. Bilbo looks shocked at the gesture before returning it. Thorin breaks the hug after a few moments.
"I am sorry i doubted you." He apologizes, "Both of you." He says glancing at me.
"I would've doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior. Not even a burglar." Says Bilbo causing everyone to smile.
The eagles shriek as they fly away. Tessarion lets out a deep roar, drawing all attention to him.
I move to stand beside him as he lowers his head for me to stroke. Thorin looks shocked and a little on edge at the sight of the large blue dragon.
"It's alright, Tessarion won't harm anyone." I reassure him as he slowly approaches with one hand slightly raised. Tessarion notices him and lets out a low growl in warning.
"Rāpirī. Rāpirī Tessarion." (Calm. Calm Tessarion.)
He settles down as Thorin's now within arms reach. Thorin looks at me, slowly raising his hand towards Tessarion's snout. I give him a nod when he hesitates. Thorin looks into the dragons bright blue eyes as his hand makes contact. They stare at each other for a moment almost like their staring into each others souls until Tessarion closes his eyes and gently pushes his head closer to Thorin.
The dwarves, Bilbo and myself smile and cheer at the scene before us. Tessarion backs up after a moment, carefully turning to the edge of the cliff and glancing at me.
"Sōvēs!" I tell him as he spreads his wings, jumping off the ledge and into the sky. The wind from his wings blowing my French braided silver hair behind me, i don't move, used to that feeling while some of the dwarves wobble slightly.
"Is that what i think it is?" Bilbo says gesturing to a single mountain off in the distance.
"Erebor, the Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-Earth." Gandalf answers.
"Our home." Thorin corrects.
"A raven." A dwarf says as we watch a small bird fly past us, "The birds are returning to the mountain."
"That my dear Oin, is a Thrush." Gandalf corrects.
"But we'll take it as a sign. A good omen." Thorin says smiling at me then Bilbo.
"You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us." Bilbo says with a smile as we all gaze at the mountain in the early morning sunlight and slowly climb down to continue our journey.