♦ Chapter 1

"I don't think we should pair up with them Temp." Lily says, standing beside her best friend Temeperence Lavender as the front of Beacon, as they have completed their test to get out of Emerald Forest an hour ago.

Temp tilts her head as to ask 'Why?'

"That Evan guy is an ass." Lily stammers, narrowing her eyes.

Temp gives her this look, as if saying 'Really, Lily? We haven't even met him formally.'

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I don't want to." Lily says rolling her eyes.

A couple feet away, Evan Nightshade and Aiden Charcoal discuss the same topic. "Why do you want to pair up with them?"Evan asks annoyed.

"Have you seen Lily? She's strong."Aiden says, rolling his eyes, we wanted an excuse to talk to the two girls, whom he knew they'd make good team-mates.

"Which one's Lily?" Evan asks raising his eyebrows in the same questioning manner. Looking at both girls.

"The ginger." Aiden says glaring.

"Oh, isn't the other one related to a Lavender?" Evan says, looking back at Aiden, crossing his arms.

"Yes, she's related to Lukas Lavender." Aiden says, correcting the air-headed friend.

"Fine." Evan says, tired with his attempts at trying to stay away from the two girls, closing his eyes.

"They're coming over here." Aiden says pointing to the two girls making their way over to them.

"What?" Evan asked looking up.

Temp walks up to them and waves.

"Hi." Aiden says quietly.

"Sup?" Evan asks trying to sound cool.

Temp waves again.

"Um," Evan mutters, looks at Lily in question.

"She won't answer you." Lily said rolling her eyes, and crossing her arms in annoyance.

Evan and Aiden stand there, looking dumbfounded, as if saying why.

"Really? You don't know?" Lily looks at Temperence, then back at the boys, putting on a annoyed face.

Temperence looks as the ground embarrassed, mostly because this isn't the first time Lily has had to tell people this for her.

"She's mute." Lily says sternly.

"Oh." Aiden mutters.

"That's kinda cool," Evan beams, grinning.

Lily glares at Evan, for the possibly offensive comment.

Temperence looks up at Evan, confused.

"Well, I mean if someone bothers you, you kinda can't talk to them so they get... annoyed, and well, walk away." Evan explains, looking embarrassed for what he said.

"Dumbass, it's not cool," Lily snaps, turning her face into a scowl.

Temperence elbows Lily for swearing, shrugging at what Evan said as if saying 'I guess so.'

"Why'd you come over here?" Evan asks, trying to keep a conversation moving.

"It was her idea!" Lily dramatically motions to Temperance.

Temperence looks around, grabbing a stick. Writting "Team?" in the mud,and then tilting her head in a questioning manner towards the two boys.

"Us, a team, with Ms. SassyPants over here?" Evan scoffs glaring at Lily.