Prologue

The last of the lights inside of a bar on the side of the road switch off, the street almost descending into complete darkness if not for the single streetlight that stands in the centre of the parking lot. Astrid Singer leaves the bar, pulling her jacket up over her shoulders, her car keys dangling in her fingers. The end of her shift has finally rolled around and she can go home. She crosses the parking lot to where she parked her car at the beginning of her shift. It's a large enough parking lot, mostly because it is needed. It's Sioux Falls, there is only one bar and she was lucky to get a job here working the bar. There are only so many jobs for the younger generation and it is a tooth and nail thing. Both to get a job and to keep it. She thinks Bobby had something to do with it. And to be honest, she doesn't care that he did that. It was here or the hardware store, and to be honest, she prefers the evening shifts. It means that during the day she can help out with the hunting. Which is what she really wants to do. Bartending is just a way to bring some income in. So that she feels like she is contributing to the household. Bobby has always told her that she doesn't need to. That she didn't need to get a job. That they were fine. And maybe it isn't all about the money. Maybe she just likes having something to do. Something to fill her time so she doesn't think about Erik. Thinking about Erik always hurts. Losing her brother the way that she did will likely haunt her for the rest of her life.

......

Astrid's cruiser pulls into the Singer Salvage Yard at 2:30 am and all she wants her bed. It was a busy night and she's been killing her feet and now she just wants to curl up in bed. But it doesn't look like that is going to happen. Not when her eyes find a black impala parked in her normal spot. It's a car she never thought to see again. One she never thought would dare show its face around here ever again. She pulls up next to it and cuts the engine. She doesn't believe that he would just show up, not after how things ended. Not with how firm Bobby had been with him. She climbs out of her car and lingers there, her fingers curled around the doorframe. How dare it be here. She lets out a breath through her nose as she stares at the black car, the moonlight shining off of its ridiculously cared-for body. A car that age should not look that good. She swallows her rising rage then slams her car door shut and continues to glare at the impala. It's justified rage though. At least in her mind it is. That car belongs to a man whom she blames for the death of her brother. One of three people she blames. And it might have been six years ago now, but she is still as angry about it today as she was back then. She might always feel this angry about it. She lost her other half. Her twin brother because of the owner of this car. There was nothing other than anger that she was going to feel seeing it again.

......

Astrid closes the front door of her home. Perhaps a little harder than she meant to. She should perhaps be quiet just in case Bobby is in bed and sleeping. She doubts it though. he always seems to wait up for her to get in, no matter how late she gets home. She pulls a face and then shakes her head. It's done now. She was loud. She can't take that back. She reaches down to undo the straps on her shoes.

"Dad!" She shouts through the house, her anger very clear in her voice, and it is only getting worse the longer she thinks about that stupid car and the owner. "Dad!" She toes off her shoes, fingers pulling at her jacket.

"In here" Bobby shouts back and she can hear that he's concerned, likely by her reaction. She doesn't really get angry very often, in fact, it is only anything to do with Erik that gets her angry like this. And he likely knew she would react like this seeing that car out there. Astrid dumps her jacket and then her bag on the floor alongside her shoes before she heads further into the house. She'll deal with the mess later, after she's calmed down, after she finds out what is going on.

.....

As she enters the study, Astrid is a little surprised. It's not who she thought it was going to be. John Winchester is not here. Nope. Instead, it is his sons who are perched on the couch across from Bobby. Sam and Dean are sitting there with beers. She pauses in the doorway, her anger sinking only slightly, her confusion peaking instead. It's been about six years since she's seen them. Six years since they sat in the Impala and watched Bobby aim a shotgun at John warning him to never come back, never contact him ever again. Sam pushes himself to his feet and gives her a small smile.

"Hey, Astrid" He greets. Astrid glances at him and then looks back at Bobby.

"What's going on?" She asks, shifting closer to her father. "Why are they here?" She whispers to him.

"John's been taken by demons" Bobby answers her. "Sam and Dean are here asking for help" He draws out, trying to get that message through to her. Here these boys are asking them for help and after what happened, that likely takes a lot.

"Why does that have to be our problem?" She counters, folding her arms over her chest.

"I remember you being a lot nicer when we were kids" Dean comments under his breath. Astrid ignores him in favour of looking at her father, she is giving him a look, trying to remind him what happened the last time one of them helped a Winchester. She has every right to be upset about them turning up here asking for help. Sam gives Dean a look to not poke this, because they are here for their help, not to upset them.

"Astrid" Bobby warns and gives her a look to stop. He's already decided that he is going to help them. She scoffs and rolls her eyes. She has no intention of being involved in whatever this is. She's not there yet. She is not ready to get involved in Winchester business. She turns and leaves the room.

.......

Upstairs, Astrid slams her door shut, just to make sure they know she's upset about this. She has Bobby, and that is all she has. She has to look at the odds. The last time a family member went off with a Winchester, he ended up dead. Her mind is flashing that this is bad. That something bad is going to happen to him and she can't lose him too. Her mother is dead. Her brother is dead. Bobby is all she has left. Thinking about losing him, breaks her heart, just the thought of it. She can't imagine what it would feel like to actually lose him. She runs her fingers through her hair and closes her eyes.

"Kiddo" Bobby knocks on the door. "Can we talk about this?" Astrid lets out a breath as she stares at the door.

"Not right now," She tells him. Because she knows that if they talk about this whilst she is this upset, then it is not going to go the way either of them wants. Right now, space is best. "Tomorrow" She adds and touches the door. She doesn't like fighting with Bobby. It never makes them feel good and they are closer than that now. The loss of Erik strengthened their relationship. She hears Bobby walk away from her door and she lets out a breath. It's for the best if they wait to talk about it.