Chapter Twenty - Newt

I don't know what I was thinking. I don't know why I thought this was ever going to be a good ideas. All I know is I couldn't let her die.

Even while fighting off the disgustingly humanoid creature, I couldn't take my eyes off of her. Watching her in pain, physical or mental, was torture to me. I see why WICKED tried to force information out of Addy by torturing me. If her pain was anything like what I feel seeing her like this...

The creature winced as she crushed the glow on its knee, bringing its weapon-laden arm down toward her chest in vengeance.

And my world froze.

Nothing else mattered. Nothing else deserved a moment of attention. Nothing but her.

I threw myself at Addy, pulling her into my arms as we rolled across the sand and out of the blade's path.

"Newt, no!" I ignore the protests. She's worth it, she is my world. Without her, I don't know why I would bother to survive. She's mine. She's my reason.

Addy's green eyes are wide in shock, confusion, and... terror. "Newt. What have you done?"

I smile against all odds, reveling in her sweet scent, and drown myself in the brown ring around her pupils and the emerald shards of her iris.

"Newt," she says again. Her voice cracks. The sound breaks my heart. "Newt, no. No. No no no no no. What have you done? What have you done?! Get away from me! Quickly!"

Any joy that was once in my face drains away in one quick blow. "W- what?"

Addy pushes me off of her and scoots backwards, covering her mouth in a choked sob. The other Gladers and Group B desperately fight the creatures to keep them off of us while we're distracted, but if we don't do something quickly, we'll all be outnumbered.

"Newt, you're going to be sick now!" Addy exclaims, her eyes glisten with tears. "What have I done?!" She blinks, as if hoping to wake up from this nightmare. When she opens them again and its not a dream, the tears fall in streak down her face while she sobs.

I inch forward, only for her to move backward again. I want nothing more than to wrap her in my arms and never let her go. Why can't she see? I don't care. I don't care about anything, but her. I just need her. Flare or no Flare. If she goes down, I'm going with her. I only wish I'd seen it sooner so we could've had more time.

"Addy, come here," I plead. My voice is so soft and low that I'm not sure she can even hear me above the storm. "Please."

"WOULD YOU SHUCKFACES GET AWAY FROM EACH OTHER AND HELP?" Minho has no problem being heard above the howling wind.

Luckily for him, I'm forced to do just that. One of the monsters limps toward me, one leg entirely void of any light. The irony is cruel, but I have no time to curse the world for its sick games. Instead, I'm forced to kick it away from me and crush the glowing bulbs.

By the time we finally finish off the last of the monsters, the wind has picked up full force and dark clouds hang over us, though they don't spill a drop of water to quench our thirst. I search for Addy amongst the small group and find her curled into herself away from everyone else. Quiet, dry sobs escape her lips.

I want nothing more than to give her a hug until she smiles once again. A smile creeps over my face as I realize, now I can. The Flare is no longer a barrier between us, it's too late for that. A hand presses against my chest as I start towards her.

"Newt. Dude. Quit with the death wish please."

I swipe absently at his hand, ignoring him. "If I were going to get it, I would've already got it. It's out of our hands now. Let me go, Min."

My friend shakes his head silently. His eyes are black pools of hurt and his voice is barely even a whisper as he says, "No, Newt. It's not worth the risk. She's already dying. I can't lose you both. Please. Keep yourself safe. For me."

"If you don't let me go to her, you've already lost me."