Chapter Ten - Newt

"We'll just have to hope Addy sticks with her brother. That's the only way this will work," Mary finishes.

I run my hand through my hair. "Why can't you hack into her tracker like you did with Thomas?"

"We need the ID number," Vince explains in a gruff voice. "When Thomas contacted us, he gave us his but he didn't have the others."

"Why did he contact you in the first place?" I ask.

Mary wears an expression of sympathy as she explains. "He said it was because of Addy and you, actually. Addy happened to be watching when you... jumped. She begged Thomas to get you and the others out and it. It triggered something in Thomas and he truly saw how awful what they were doing to you was and chose to do something about it." My heart shatters. I had no idea that anyone cared, let alone were effected by me.

"It took quite a while for him to hack the dashboard and find his records so he could locate us. By the time he did, Addy was one of the only subjects that hadn't been inserted into the Maze, so he told her what we planned and how to solve the Maze. Then he planned to put her in the Maze without the Swipe, but it seems that that didn't happen as he planned. We lost contact then, but assumed the plan was still in action so we tracked until he moved out of the Maze where we intercepted them and collected the Gladers."

"That's when I split up with the others and got you, but Addy-" Mary sighs, tears sparkling in her eyes. "-Addy didn't make it through. They took the other boys to a safe house but before we could remove the trackers, WICKED found us and took out the entire team. They stole back the boys and put them into a new Trial, just like they'd planned. As if we'd never done a thing." Mary's face contorts in a mix of anger and agony. "So many lost. For nothing!"

Vince growls under his breath angrily, vowing for revenge, and rubs Mary's back comfortingly.

"So the plan is that we track Thomas until he's out of the Crank city and go to rescue him, hoping he's with the others?" I reiterate skeptically.

"Yes," Vince confirms, obviously not appreciating my doubts. "We're moving camp to the mountains to get closer to where it seems they're headed so we can be ready when they do come. We're also preparing our milita in case anything goes wrong and WICKED puts up a fight."

Mountain people, I think. Our entire plan is mountain people. Vince does not seem to be in the mood for my sass, so I don't say anything even though I despise the plan. I have no other ideas and it doesn't feel fair to criticize if I have nothing better.

"Ok. Let's bloody do this."