Chapter One - Addy

*A/N if you haven't already, go read my first book in this series, The Bruised and the Broken. I hope you enjoy!*

I wake up to a throbbing headache and a constant buzzing in my mind. As I stretch my body into alertness, the buzzing becomes more clear and I recognize it as Thomas' voice.

Addy! Addy!

W- what? I blink sleep from my eyes and realize that I have absolutely no idea where I am. The gray walls are lined with bunk beds but all of them are empty except mine.

What happened? Are you alright? You stopped talking so abruptly, it worried me.

Thanks, Tommy. Some doctor came in and knocked me out. I don't know where I am. Looks like the bedroom you described though. I tell him anxiously.

Hold on, Tommy says confidently. We're coming. You must be in another room around here.

As I wait, I try the door at the center of the room but it's locked so I try the other door and find that it's a bathroom. I quickly try to clean myself up somewhat, but as I dry my face, I hear a sound from outside. Thomas is here! I think excitedly. I rush out of the bathroom just as the door opens.

"Who are you? Where's Aris?" Instead of my brother and the other Gladers, I see a group of girls.

The girl in front has long blond hair and a faint, but familiar accent. She's older, but I recognize her. "Lizzy?"

"I said, who are you?" Newt's sister seems to be the leader in the group.

"I'm Addy." I feel like I should say more, but I have no idea what.

Lizzy scrutinizes me closely. "Where did you come from? Why are you here?" She demands.

"I came from a Maze of all boys. Your brother, he was there with me," I tell her.

"I don't have a brother." She doesn't sound so sure when she says it. "And I don't even know you! How would you even know who my brother is?"

I hold my hands up in surrender. "Alright. Sorry. Am I allowed to ask where you came from?"

Shuck it, Addy, Thomas says. We're not safe yet. The people who rescued us, they're all dead.

The word 'dead' echoes in my mind. What about Mom? And Newt?!

They're not here, but we found a door with your name on it. We're trying to get in now.

I'm relieved that Newt isn't amongst those that were lost. I'm not in there, Thomas. A bunch of girls just came in. They say they're from a Maze except their's was all girls. I try to focus on Lizzy's words while answering Thomas.

Well, shuck. Thomas curses and disconnects.

As the girl wraps up her explanation, the rest of the group relaxes and settles down on the other beds. "So," I reiterate, "from what I understand, you guys came from a Maze just like ours but yours was all girls with one boy and ours was all boys with one girl."

Lizzy nods.

"You've got to help me find them. We can get to safety, we can escape them," I say.

Lizzy crosses her arms and the dark haired girl next her speaks, "Why should we help you? How do we know we can trust you? How do we know you don't work for them?"

My eyebrows scrunch as I think. I could try using telepathy to them, but that would make them even more suspicious that I work for WICKED. Besides that, I don't have any sensory signs that would convince them. I look like any old girl. "I- I don't know how to prove it."