No whispering vampire.

She shut the door, grinning wide and open. "I think it's time for my little surprise."

I eyed her suspiciously as she laced her arm through mine and lead me out of the room.

"I don't really like surprises," I admitted, not quite sure what she had planned. As we made our way down another long hallway, I couldn't help but cast a look over my shoulder at the music room.

There was something about that room I needed to explore on my own.

"Well, if it will put your mind at ease, I'm taking you to the ballroom so we can dance like real ladies."

I stopped walking, my eyes widening. "Oh, I don't think that's a very good idea. I don't know how to dance."

"Neither do I!" she said, tugging on my arm to restart my feet. "But after a few sips of wine, it doesn't matter what you know and don't know. Besides, Devlinn and Alec are waiting for us. I told them to bring snacks."

I let her lead me to the ballroom even though nerves twisted inside my stomach.

Wine. Dancing. A huge room all to ourselves. Alec.

The combination would surely draw Bastien who seemed unable to bring himself to spend time with me unless it was to intervene on behalf of my virtue or ensure I was protected.

I resigned to ignore him or send him away when he inevitably appeared and committed to having fun without him.

Finally, after what felt like a mile of walking, we arrived at a set of massive double doors stained black and inlayed with gold roses.

"Welcome to the ballroom," Tansy said, throwing open the doors and revealing an awe inspiring expanse of a room.

The walls were black. The floors were maple. The chandeliers were crystal. Impressive was the wrong word. It was delectable.

A smile pressed itself onto my lips as I marveled at it all. The energy of the room made me want to gather my skirts on a hand and twirl in circles.

I didn't know how to dance, but this room made me feel like anything was possible.

I spied Alec and Devlinn as they stood from a small table that had been placed at the corner of the room which was laden with candles and desserts, walking toward us with glasses of thick red wine.

One glass. I could have one glass and keep my head.

Alec looked at ease as he came closer. Neither he nor Devlinn wore a shirt beneath their open gold and white trimmed jackets, exposing their well-honed musculature.

I accepted the wine glass that he offered me, and we all rang the crystal together in a toast, silently taking a sip of the smooth vintage.

Once glass number one was finished and I was feeling less self-conscious and empowered by Alec's gentle encouragement, I let him lead me out to the dance floor while Devlinn put on a record that began playing a slow waltz.

I laughed more than I could ever remember laughing before as he tried to teach me the steps but the only steps I was doing was stepping on his feet.

"You're too stiff!" Tansy shouted, prancing over to me and taking my hips in her hands, working them back and forth as I giggled into Alec's chest.

"There's no such thing as being too stiff," Alec remarked, which caused the others to explode with laughter.

I, however, had no idea what they meant but laughed anyway.