14 • Rêver

Rêver (verb) to dream

I laid on my back, staring at a sky peppered with a million shimmering stars. 

"It's so beautiful," I whispered.

The deep voice of a vampire answered. "Yes, it is."

I could see him watching me from the corner of my eye, and I stared at the sky to hide the burn in my cheeks.

Pointing to a constellation, I told Bastien all about the brave witch in the sky. A story I'd been fond of since I was a girl.

When I was done, he captured my hand and drew it against his chest.

The gesture drew my gaze away from the sky to tangle with his. Ice blue eyes stared back at me, but strangely, they seemed warm and inviting despite the hue. Drawing me in like the stars and the moon and all the heavenly bodies above us.

Captivating and alluring.

Just like the curve of his lips.

"You are an exquisite creature," he said. Thumb stroking the back of my hand in such a way that made me feel like I was sinking into the ground.

I'd never felt such desire twisting low in my belly.

Slowly, he pressed a kiss to the top of my hand before rolling onto his side and drawing me to him, molding our bodies together. His hand fitted against the small of my back.

I felt so feminine in his arms and welcomed the press of his body.

He brought his lips an inch closer. My back arched, and my chin tilted up, closing the distance between us until we were barely an inch apart.

Anticipation of what happened next had me trembling. I didn't just want him to kiss me. I needed it. Needed him. Needed to be closer.

There was a question in his eyes, and I answered by snaking my hand around his neck, stroking his skin with my fingers.

The air was alive with the electricity crackling between us.

Slowly, ever so slowly, Bastien lowered his lips to mine, and the chaste touch of our mouths shattered everything inside me. Like the sky exploding with stars.

He parted my lips, urging them open, and I invited him into my mouth, tasting him as he slowly mated our tongues together in a slow kiss. Deepening the connection between us until I was so deep into him that I thought I might get lost in the passion. I welcomed the feeling.

I wanted to get lost with him.

His hand traveled up my waist to cup my breast, teasing my nipple between his fingers until I moaned inside his mouth.

He swallowed the sound. Devouring it like it was the only thing he needed to live.

A familiar voice sliced through the balmy night air, and I heard Mama's voice in the distance. She was angry. I could tell by the way she was calling my name.