🫧 3 🫧

Furina watches Clorinde as they stand beside one another on the lift that is taking them down to the Navia Line. The woman to her left stares at the door in front of them.
"Clorinde..." Furina starts, but she doesn't really know what to say. What can she say? "Do you remember that day where you couldn't find me and I was in the Palais Library, hidden away under a desk?"
Clorinde chuckles, turning to face her. The door opens, and the two walk out, but their conversation continues.
"I had to think to myself 'if I was Furina where would I hide?" She smiles. Clorinde isn't one to smile all that often, but they've worked together for so long that their presence comforted one another. "I thought you might have been kidnapped, or The Knave might have tried to get you again."

The mention of The Knave makes Furina have fleeting thoughts of going back home. Back to the safety of her walls. Where she can lock the door and no one can find her.

"That day," she admits gently as they wait for the Aquabus, "when you crouched down in front of me... I almost let it slip." Furina's eyes water. "It had been a particularly hard week, and I just wanted... I just wanted to tell you."
"I knew that there was something you wanted to say - before you just laughed and climbed out from under the desk, muttering something about method acting." Clorinde pauses, sighing. "I wish I could have helped you."
"You did help me!" Furina exclaims. "You were the one who would always tell me to get my act together." She laughs. "Sometimes I needed to hear that."
"The Palais isn't the same without you," Clorinde smiles. "Neuvillette isn't quite as entertaining."
Furina laughs. "I suppose at least he is qualified to run a nation."
"Considering the cards you were dealt, Furina, I think that you did extremely well."
Furina smiled, watching the Aquabus arrive.
"I have not quite mastered the ability of leaving it behind me," she admits.
"No one expects you to," Clorinde shrugs. "I think that there'll be moments from those five hundred years that stay with you forever."

Furina sits quietly on the Aquabus, trying her best not to fixate on the fact that there is water beneath her. She hasn't been back to the Opera Epiclese since that day... and she's not thrilled to be going back there now. Even though they're only passing through to get to the Fortress of Meropide, Furina doesn't want to be any closer than necessary to where it all fell apart.
"And we're here," the Mnemosyne tells them in a bubbly voice.
They've still got a walk to the Opera Epiclese, but Furina is relieved to have some time to gather her thoughts.
"Are you alright, Furina?" Clorinde asks as Furina basically leaps as far from the Aquabus as possible to ensure she doesn't fall in the water.
Furina gives a nervous laugh. "I'm fine."

The Opera Epiclese is still as grand as it always was, and the sight of it makes Furina feel very small.
She's never been to the Fortress of Meropide before - she's heard Neuvillette talking about it - and she hasn't met Wriosthesley.
Furina walks with her arms crossed and her head down past the doors. Clorinde strides confidently towards the staircase, and Furina can't help but glance over her shoulder at the Epiclese. She swallows, closing her eyes.
"It's not too late to stay here," Clorinde reminds her gently. "If you've had a change of heart."
Furina shakes her head. "No... no. I want to come."
"But if-"
"Clorinde," Furina laughs. "I'm fine. I'm a little apprehensive but I'm coming."
Clorinde nods. As the lift carries them down into the administration area.

Furina can't help but look at what lies around her. The coppery metal surprises her.
"Ah, Clorinde!"
"Hello, Marette." Clorinde speaks. "I'm here to see Wriosthesley."
The woman - Marette, nods. "I just need your name, the time you've arrived and a signature."
She hands Clorinde a piece of paper before glancing over at Furina.
"I haven't seen you down here before, Miss Furina."
"Yes, well, up until now I have not had the time, but Clorinde asked for my help, so..."
"Oh really?" Clorinde raises a brow. "That's how it was, was it?" She hands the paper and pen to Furina.