CHAPTER 43

"Mom..." Ulit na tawag ni Vin sa ina. She pulled away from me and stared at my face. My lips parted as I felt the consciousness slowly crawling in my system.

"You are so pretty."

Nilingon niya ang anak at nginitian.

"May I have a few minutes with her, son?"

Tiningnan muna ako ni Vin bago alanganing tumango.

"I'm upstairs." He told me and caressed my arms as if trying to let me know that everything's okay before he left. Naiwan na ako sa Mama niya na hindi ko pa rin kilala. Or maybe I know her before, I just don't remember.

"Come here." She held my wrist and pulled me towards the couch. Nang makaupo ay tinitigan na naman niya ako na parang hindi pa rin makapaniwala.

"We haven't really met before but I've heard a lot about you from my son. And I guess, you heard about me, too..." she trailed off and smiled. But I've seen a glint of heaviness in her eyes when she said the last sentence. It was only for a while that I'd think my eyes is playing on me.

"I really don't... remember you po."

"Oh! Sorry, I forgot... I'm Hestia. Vin's mom. I am so glad to finally meet you, Aya. I've heard about your accident. How are you now?"

"I'm actually good po. Aside from temporary memory loss, I'm physically good."

Ngumiti siya. "My son loves you so much. I always wonder why. But I guess, I know now."

"Uh..." Nahihiya akong ngumiti. I suddenly want to have Vin beside me.

"Can I hug you?" She asked as if she haven't done it earlier. Tumango nalang ako nang wala nang maapuhap na salita.

Her warm arms embraced me like a mother cuddling her own daughter. Wala sa sarili akong napayakap pabalik sa kanya. I felt her kiss the side of my head before pulling away.

"You are an angel... You know..." She held my hands. "Sometimes I'd wish that you and Vin met in different circumstances."

Nangunot ang noo ko. "Bakit po?"

Umiling siya. "I love you, really. And I like you for my son. But I just can't..." Dahan-dahang lumitaw ang lungkot sa mga mata niya. "I can't bear to think that my family is once again, connected to one of the Louvierre."

I wasn't able to speak. She continues. "Pero mahal na mahal ka ng anak ko. I don't think he can feel that kind of love again. I am so torn. Kaya kung pwede lang, I want to ask you a favor."

Humigpit ang paghawak niya sa mga kamay ko. I pulled my hands away and stood up. "Wait, Tita I don't understand a thing. What do you mean you can't bear to think that your son will be connected to the Louvierre? What's with my family?"

Umiling siya. "No... nothing." She smiled apologetically. "Forget about what I said."

"Po? No, I can't. May nasabi ka na. And what favor? Do you want me to leave your son?"

She shook her head multiple times. Lumingon siya sa taas, parang takot na marinig ni Vin ang pinag-uusapan namin. She then stood up and took her bag.

"I'm leaving. Just tell my son that I have an urgent appointment to do."

"Tita... you can't just leave me like this."

Muli siyang lumingon sa hagdanan at nang masigurong wala si Vin ay lumapit sa 'kin at hinawakan ako sa braso. I was stunned to react when I felt her nails digging on my skin. Nang tingnan ko siya sa mata ay parang gusto ko nalang magpalamon sa sahig na kinatatayuan. Her eyes is raging with fire. The complete opposite of how she talk and look at me earlier.