CHAPTER 38

The familiar scent of my favorite coffee filled my nostrils as Vin placed it on the table in front of me. After a few minutes inside his car, he drove away and took me here. I suddenly wonder what makes him think I'd like to be in a coffee shop.

He sat across and smiled. I returned it, wider.

"How did you know I like it here?"

"Coffee is your comfort drink, right?"

"How?"

"I just know."

I chuckled and sipped from the cup. He stared at me while I was doing that, looking at me with those blue eyes like I was the most enchanting thing ever existed.

"Ganda mo."

"That sounds familiar."

"Well, you'll remember me saying it eventually."

"Are we college lovers?" Tanong ko na naging dahilan ng pag-ubo niya. Mabilis naman siyang nakabawi bago ako muling tiningnan.

"No... we were... we're highschool lovers."

"Oh, so we broke up?"

"Sort...of."

My eyes narrowed. "Hindi ba tayo nag-aral ng college in the same school?"

"Nope. You went to Canada." He went silent for a while, as if he said something he shouldn't have said. Mas lalong naningkit ang mga mata ko nang nag-iwas siya ng tingin.

"So, why did we broke up? Or... how did we end what's in between us?"

His eyes suddenly looked regretful. "Hm, you don't have to know."

"Why not? I'm gonna remember it, anyway."

"That's why I don't want to say it. Maaalala mo rin naman."

"Is it that bad?"

"Yes... But it's even more bad when you were at the hospital, sleeping, and no assurance if you'd gonna wake up again."

"But I'm here, now."

"Yeah, and it scares me."

My forehead creased. "What?"

"Na baka umalis ka na naman kapag nakaalala ka."

Naguguluhan man, nagawa kong umiling at sabihin sa kanya na hindi. It's not a promise and I'm thankful it's not. Because after all, I'm not good at promises. The same as I'm not a good person.

After we finish our coffee, niyaya niya 'kong maglakadlakad. It was already dark and the streetlights had finally come to life. I was hugging myself as we sat on the bench near the coffee shop.

"I think it happened. I mean, I just feel it."

"You used to walk beside the road after you drink your favorite coffee."

"Really?" I smiled widely.

"Yup."

"Kasama rin kita?"

Umiling siya. I didn't know that a small gesture could actually make my smile fall.

"Then... how did you know?"

"I just know, Aya." He said and stood up. "Come on. Let's eat dinner before I take you home."

"Why won't you tell me?" I asked while we were walking back to the coffee shop where his car was parked.

Sa halip na sumagot ay hinawakan niya ang kamay ko. The warmth of his hands made me forget the questions running in my mind. My thoughts was only for us. Vin and I, walking under the streetlights, holding each other's hands, feeling each other's warmth. For a moment, I felt like I was holding my other half.