Chapter 23 - A Box of Truths

Thirty minutes until the end of the world...

A thunderstorm hit Tokyo when Makima sat in her office, having been fixated on the news coverage of what was happening in Shibuya. Even though no one on the news had a good understanding of what was going on, Makima could just tell that something was off. She could sense it: the local Devils had gone crazy, causing problems for the Devil Hunters all night.

Taking out her phone, she checked the messages she had sent to the phone number Gojo had provided her, having gotten no response from her offers of help. Whether this was because Gojo had given her a fake number or he was in trouble was hard to say; usually, she would lean towards the first option, but she was on edge. The door knocked as her gaze pivoted to Denji walking in.

"You called for me, Miss Makima?"

"Denji, I'm glad to see you; thank you for coming this late. I'm aware you, Power and Aki are very busy right now, yes?"

Denji rubbed his nose, a little disheartened. "There sure have been a lot of Devils popping up if that's what you're suggesting... Most of them are, well, it's a little odd."

"Odd?" Makima questioned, tilting her head with a curious look. "What do you mean?"

Denji took a moment to debate what to say, tapping his feet, arms crossed. "Well, they don't really want to fight. Most of the Devils we come across have all been running away."

"I see. And has Power said anything to suggest what is going on?"

"No? Although she seems a lot more on edge than usual. Is something wrong, Miss Makima?"

Makima paused, pondering the question herself, continuing to watch the news broadcast. "What do you know about the Jujutsu Sorcerers Denji?"

"The Jujutsu Sorcerers? Umm... Oh! Do you mean that guy I fought a few months ago? Not much; I heard you had a problem with them a month back?"

"More Satoru Gojo to be exact. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I believe he is in trouble." She mumbles to herself, opening her drawer and going through the file she had kept close at hand since the Bloody Mary incident. "He is the most powerful Sorcerer in all of Japan."

"Is he stronger than you, Miss Makima?"

Makima smiled, holding her hands. "I do not waste my energy debating such fantasies, Denji."

"Y-Yeah... But would you lose?"

"Denji... Be quiet." She responded, still smiling but quickly losing patience with such trivial questions. "I am far more interested in what Y/N is up to right now."

Denji was still silent, processing the name before, after a while, speaking up. "Y/N? That was the one I fought within the hospital."

"That he was, and I thank you very much for bringing him to my attention, Denji. Whatever is happening right now—the Shibuya incident, the radio silence from Satoru, and the freak Devil appearances—I believe this is directly connected to Y/N in some way, shape, or form."

"What are we going to do about it then, Miss Makima?"

"Contact Power and Aki; we've allowed these Jujutsu Sorcerers to treat our city as a playground for long enough. We're heading for Shibuya at once."

****

I sat on the edge of the destroyed Shibuya, gripping Pandora's Box tightly, my mind going over events over and over again. It felt a little surreal knowing everything that had been kept a secret from me was now on full display: my Family's plan, the reason for Beowulf's betrayal, how I came into contact with Bloody Mary, and the truth of my destiny.