Chapter 17 - The Woman They Call Beowulf Part 2

The group of Sorcerers were pinned down in the collapsed ballroom, and the same Cursed Spirit posed as Jenkins came flooding in and attacking. Miwa stomped her foot forward, drawing her blade and cutting down three copies, all of them just disappearing into smoke, their appearance morphing more as they did. Mai was behind Miwa, firing her gun, taking out four more, grunting, and beginning to reload.

"What the hell gives?! Why aren't they going down?"

Todo smacked his hands together, swapping places with DK, who dived forward, swinging her hand down and snarling. "Execution."  A dozen of the Cursed Spirit's heads came clean off, decapitated as DK rolled over, finding them all vanishing in a puff of smoke.

As the Cursed copies came back, the butler look formed, taking the shape of a long trench coat and top hat differently. They looked straight out of a Victorian-era story. Knives appeared all around, only seeming to target the girls as Dk pushed each one out of the way, pointing a finger gun, unleashing shatter and exploding the area into glass alongside the copies.

"I'm starting to figure out what we're dealing with here. A Cursed Spirit that can create constant echoes of itself obsessed with killing the female victims, there's no doubt about it. We're dealing with the Ripper."

"The Ripper? As in that famous serial killer from the 1900s?"

DK tilted her head, catching a knife and throwing it back at the copy, frustrated. "The very same... The real Spirit is most likely hiding nearby, not daring to attack."

Todo punched two more back, laughing. "We take down the real spirit, and so will these copies, too."

Mai counted her bullets, annoyed. "I'll take whatever I can get; I'm almost out. And we still got to worry about the others trapped in their rooms."

"And Y/N", DK added on top, clenching her fist. "I-I could just hail Mary it and use my domain expansion, but... Should we use it on such a small fry like the Ripper?"

She shook the idea of refusing such a tactic; she had no idea what Beowulf was capable of, and as the only one out of the group with a Domain Expansion, it was best to save it for the right time. So, instead, she began bringing her finger close to her mouth, hushing everyone. "Superstition technique, unkindness."

A strong wind began to blow from all the windows, and a massive unkindness of ravens burst through, flying all around the Manor. Everyone flinched as DK focused her cursed energy on each one floating in the middle of the swarm. Clenching her fist, she began moving her hand around, focusing on small pockets of ravens in the walls and ceilings. As they did, the cursed energy embedded into them caused them all to explode as chunks of the destroyed Manor were being opened up.

With enough concentrated marks, DK's head cranked, seeing her target in sight as the Ripper panicked being spotted. It tried escaping further into the Manor, but Todo quickly acted with his boogie-woogie, swapping places with it and allowing DK to strike. Shifting her body to the Cursed Spirit, she swung her hand into a finger gun. "Shatter!"

The air began to heat up before combusting into a glass, shattering the Ripper's body into a thousand pieces. DK dived to the floor, and Mai and Miwa also moved in to make sure the Spirit was close enough. However, the moment the three girls got closer, something seemed to awaken in the Cursed Spirit, and its energy increased tenfold. "What!?"

The Ripper quickly healed, striking both Mai and Miwa. Mai took the full brunt of the attack and was knocked back into the wall, while Miwa used her sword to block the attack. She was pushed back, falling to her knees, weakened.

The Ripper quickly focused down DK, moving and striking, much more demanding than before. It had caught DK off guard completely; then it hit her. The serial killer in question was known for only killing women; this Cursed Spirit had grown stronger with bloodlust now that the three girls had joined forces to attack.